3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

*NOOBIES* The "I am new here,but have a question" thread..(post your questions here)

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by BenStoked
pics of "stock" mounts? plz? cuz mine aren't welded. they are held on to each mount by two bolts.
k, will take pics tomorrow when theres light
Old 07-27-2009, 10:05 AM

thats my stock bar set up

heres the new one again so you dont have to go back to the last page

i just dont see how they are compatible

HALP plz!
Old 07-27-2009, 10:51 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by MaXiMa_RyDaH
hey, im having a problem with my signal lights... i have a 94 maxima and I was wiring up my speaker system and after i was done, i noticed the signal lights no longer worked later on. The tail lights and break lights work fine, but the signal lights in both front and back wont turn on or even blink in the dash display or make any clicking sound at all... ive checked the fuses and they are good so im looking for feedback and possible diagrams of the turn signal wiring...
did you do the head unit too? cuz if you had that part of the dash out, and you forgot to plug the hazard light switch back in, that'll keep your signals from working at all.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:52 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by austin from texas

thats my stock bar set up

heres the new one again so you dont have to go back to the last page

i just dont see how they are compatible

HALP plz!
there is SUPPOSED to be a hardware kit for this.... leave a message for traxtar944 or maxitech; they have aftermarket rear swaybars iirc
Old 07-27-2009, 11:05 AM

just pmed them both, thank you sir

benstoked, you got any input on this??
Old 07-27-2009, 03:54 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

lol. no, sorry, I thought you meant the upper/inside mounts (seen near the top of the first two pictures). haven't seen, or looked, for any aftermarket setups, and how to install them (yet), so I have no more input
Old 07-27-2009, 08:08 PM

Hey guys, I'm looking for the part number or the name of something. On the power steering pump bracket, there is a tensioner pulley of some sort? Looks like the one used for A/C, anyways, it's making a weird noise and I want to replace it. Anyone know where I can find it or a part # to order it?
Old 07-27-2009, 08:39 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by Dhunterx
Hey guys, I'm looking for the part number or the name of something. On the power steering pump bracket, there is a tensioner pulley of some sort? Looks like the one used for A/C, anyways, it's making a weird noise and I want to replace it. Anyone know where I can find it or a part # to order it?
http://www.courtesyparts.com/11925p-...4-p-50706.html

overpriced OEM part is overpriced.....

after my back heals i can pull the one off my parts car for you.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by CapedCadaver
http://www.courtesyparts.com/11925p-...4-p-50706.html

overpriced OEM part is overpriced.....

after my back heals i can pull the one off my parts car for you.
Wow that is pricey. I haven't had any luck trying to find it aftermarket.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:39 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Dhunterx
Wow that is pricey. I haven't had any luck trying to find it aftermarket.
If I'm looking at the same part, its $30 at rockauto.com

ACDELCO Part # 36115
Old 07-28-2009, 01:30 PM

Don't think this is worth starting a new thread for, so here's my question.
What is this plug for? It's not plugged in and hasn't since I had the car, I'm pretty sure about that.
It's right beside the ABS box thing on the passenger side.

Also what would a broken vacuum line do to the engine? I just found one, I will replace it but could it affect my gas mileage?

Old 07-28-2009, 02:27 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by Phatmatt
Don't think this is worth starting a new thread for, so here's my question.
What is this plug for? It's not plugged in and hasn't since I had the car, I'm pretty sure about that.
It's right beside the ABS box thing on the passenger side.

Also what would a broken vacuum line do to the engine? I just found one, I will replace it but could it affect my gas mileage?

i mean obviously you know WHERE that thing plugs in... you have 1 male and 1 female plug right there next to each other. that might be for the cruise control or the abs i dunno... how many pins and what are the wire colors?

as for the vac leak that will cause your engine to not know how much air is actually coming in which can mess up your fuel mileage, air/fuel ratio, power, idle, etc. it will also keep your a/c from working as well as it otherwise would (because your heatercore bypass isn't working with that particular hose disconnected)
Old 07-28-2009, 02:56 PM

Green and White and two pins. And yea I obviously know where they connect, but I don't know what it's for.

It connects to the black box to the right of the plug.
Old 07-28-2009, 03:30 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

looks to be part of the "E5" harness plug group (there are a total of 4 plugs in the E5 group) that controls the ABS
Old 07-30-2009, 09:43 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have a problem! Just put in a new fuel injector now running really rich?
could anyone help me out?
Old 07-30-2009, 10:05 PM
2 VE's are better than one!

The Suspension Techniques hardware kit will give you a metal plate that you have to install in between the strut and that lower portion where the stock bar attaches. It's really a big PITA getting those separated (or at least on my car since it was from Penn. originally, but IIRC even my Texas car was hard to separate)

The Addco bar mounts differently but I haven't installed mine yet so I don't know offhand how it mounts
Old 07-31-2009, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by maxilina90
check for vacuum leaks. listen around the manifold to make sure the gasket seated right. check all vacuum lines to make sure you put al of them back on.

did you use rebuilds, aftermarket or new oem injectors?
Old 07-31-2009, 11:49 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by maxilina90
perhaps pinched an o-ring. is there fuel on that particular spark plug?
Old 08-01-2009, 05:13 PM

Revs jumping when coasting downhill

Hi Guys,
I've noticed something weird happening on my 1993 J30 VG30E and hoping someone might have had a similar experience. When i'm coasting downhill and doing about 80km/h the revs are right on about 1500rpm but the engine starts jumping up to about 1800 and back down again constantly. It only seems to happen in this situation. My first thought was that the car was changing between 3rd and 4th but it felt different like it was coming from the engine. Another thing i noticed which may or may not be related - when doing idle learn a while ago and trying to hold the revs at 200orpm i found it kept dropping down to about 1500rpm all of a sudden. I eventually managed to get them holding steady at 2000 for a couple of minutes after this happening a few times. Thought it was a bit strange at the time. Otherwise the engine runs really well - smooth and powerful. Any ideas what this be?

Cheers,
Mark
Old 08-01-2009, 06:54 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

it could be lockup engaging and disengaging. that's right around the speed where it engages... so it could be that you are just barely treading the speed where it engages and disengages and that's why it's doing it. just a thought.
Old 08-03-2009, 03:03 AM

98 Octane

Howdy all.

I just brough a Maxima 3rd Gen (93 VE) a week back from ebay for £350 (about $500). It's in great condition.

Im looking at modding it all out balancing HP with MPG's.

At the mo im looking at clearing out the engine bay, re-wiring, hosing and re-locating the battery. Also looking at running HHO (water conversion).

Just a quick question though (and yes I have tried the search ) Living in the UK our petrol option are 95 octane (budget) or 98 octane (premium). The car is set at the mo to 15 degrees timing. Im wordering if it is worth advancing it further to maybe 20 if runing on 95.

Can I go further than this if running on 98? and what about the ECU? Should i get it re-programmed.

Cheers.
Keep up the good work
Old 08-03-2009, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by James92SE
The Suspension Techniques hardware kit will give you a metal plate that you have to install in between the strut and that lower portion where the stock bar attaches. It's really a big PITA getting those separated (or at least on my car since it was from Penn. originally, but IIRC even my Texas car was hard to separate)

The Addco bar mounts differently but I haven't installed mine yet so I don't know offhand how it mounts
just got it installed. thank you for the input, everything helps

im almost overhauling my whole suspension so im gonna document everything in my own thread WITH PICS!
Old 08-03-2009, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by 300zmax
check for vacuum leaks. listen around the manifold to make sure the gasket seated right. check all vacuum lines to make sure you put al of them back on.

did you use rebuilds, aftermarket or new oem injectors?
i agree, my engine was running really rich and i found a vacuum line that was unplugged for god knows how long

havent messed with the injectors yet though
Old 08-03-2009, 10:01 AM

how many posts do you have to have before you can make your own thread??????
Old 08-03-2009, 10:10 AM

how many posts do you have to have before you can make your own thread??????
http://forums.maxima.org/3rd-generat...ions-here.html

page one
Old 08-03-2009, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by W00dface
Howdy all.

I just brough a Maxima 3rd Gen (93 VE) a week back from ebay for £350 (about $500). It's in great condition.

Im looking at modding it all out balancing HP with MPG's.

At the mo im looking at clearing out the engine bay, re-wiring, hosing and re-locating the battery. Also looking at running HHO (water conversion).

Just a quick question though (and yes I have tried the search ) Living in the UK our petrol option are 95 octane (budget) or 98 octane (premium). The car is set at the mo to 15 degrees timing. Im wordering if it is worth advancing it further to maybe 20 if runing on 95.

Can I go further than this if running on 98? and what about the ECU? Should i get it re-programmed.

Cheers.
Keep up the good work
nistune would be good for helping the mpgs, full control over ecu. but is it ok for VEs i think hadman has it, not to sure.

hho? never seen anyone try it here. im looking into it as well. we can swap notes if you want.

NGK spark plus will love you long time for mpgs

i would leave the timing alone for now.

check the vacuum lines and the normal stuff to ensure your engine is running well be for major tuning

good luck!
Old 08-03-2009, 10:53 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

hello everyone! new to the maxima but i like it. i got the most beat *** 93 maxima se with a vg30de a 5spd and 208,xxx miles it ran good whaen i got it but now the vtc noise is almost constant at low rpms and it will run way harder when cold. i am going to rebuild the front vtc so the question is what do i need to buy besides the new return spring and is the special tool necesary? and does anyone have any ideas on it running better when cold, i have added a k&n airfilter advanced the timimng alitle removed the muffler and replaced it with a 3" tail pipe still has the stock cat and resonator i have a snap-on scanner and it is not pulling any codes, fixed all the broken vaccum lines i could find. oh and anyone ever have a problem with there clutch sticking to the flywheel on startup? lol i know this is alot of crap at once but thanks for any imput

Last edited by the roach; 08-03-2009 at 02:05 PM.
Old 08-03-2009, 12:20 PM

we were talking in class today about a car that started fine when cold but once it got hot it would be ****. the solution was a new starter.
what was happening is the starter had enough voltage built up to start the car, but once it got going it had no voltage left and the car died.

not sure if its the same, but every little bit helps
Old 08-03-2009, 01:57 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

no the car still runs fine its more of a performance issue. you can even tell a differance reving it in nuteral it sounds differant and picks up rpms alitle slower. my idea was that the clatter from the vtc is throwing off the knock sensor? another thing i noticed was that the temp guage doesn't work, would the ecu use this sensor to adjust air fuel ratio for engine temp?
Old 08-03-2009, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by the roach
no the car still runs fine its more of a performance issue. you can even tell a difference reeving it in neutral it sounds different and picks up Roms Little slower. my idea was that the clatter from the Tc is throwing off the knock sensor? another thing i noticed was that the temp Gage doesn't work, would the EC use this sensor to adjust air fuel ratio for engine temp?
Knock sensor only check for premature detonation. when they sense this the ECU will richen up the fuel mix and open the erg further to prevent damage.
Old 08-04-2009, 03:45 AM

hho? never seen anyone try it here. im looking into it as well. we can swap notes if you want.
Sure. Im along way off doing it seriously, just at the experimentation stage at the mo. I figured before doing it, I should get the car as light, tuned and running as smooth as poss. I have taken out the air con (never need that in the UK) and today will be relocating battery to the boot to make space in the front for HHO. Also want to clear up all the cabling etc.

check the vacuum lines and the normal stuff to ensure your engine is running well be for major tuning

good luck!
As it happens I do have a loose hose coming out of the plenum. It doesn't look like it was cut broke but it is pulling a vacuum. I can't for the life of me find out where it goes
Old 08-04-2009, 04:09 AM

As it happens I do have a loose hose coming out of the plenum. It doesn't look like it was cut broke but it is pulling a vacuum. I can't for the life of me find out where it goes

Found where it goes
Old 08-04-2009, 06:01 AM

Something I have just noticed though is that one of the HT's are pretty knackered. Any recomendations for replacements?
Old 08-04-2009, 07:05 AM

i love my car i want to sleep in it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-04-2009, 07:47 AM
Jesus was a Zombie.

please, phrase that in a form of a question...

and what do you mean, "one of the HT's are pretty knackered"?
(I get the 'knackered' part, I think, but HT?)
Old 08-04-2009, 08:03 AM

3rd gens are actually one of the comfiest maximas to nap in though
Old 08-04-2009, 08:24 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

i thought that the knock sensor retarded the timing advance when it sensed predetonation?
Old 08-04-2009, 08:29 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

does anyone make a manual fuel pressure regulater that is a direct bolt on?
Old 08-04-2009, 10:10 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

ok so i pulled the vaccum line to my fuel pressure regulator off and pugged it off and started the car right away i could tell that the car was running better so i took it for a spin it was alitle doggy on the bottom but i regained the 3500 rpm plus pull i was missing. so the qestion is, what would make my car lean out at normal operating temp? and remember the temp guage dosent work right, so could the sensor for the temp guage also tell the ecu what the engine temp is? to change from cold start enrichment? i am just rambling off random stuff here but let me know if any of you have ran into somthing like this.
Old 08-04-2009, 10:22 AM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by the roach
ok so i pulled the vaccum line to my fuel pressure regulator off and pugged it off and started the car right away i could tell that the car was running better so i took it for a spin it was alitle doggy on the bottom but i regained the 3500 rpm plus pull i was missing. so the qestion is, what would make my car lean out at normal operating temp? and remember the temp guage dosent work right, so could the sensor for the temp guage also tell the ecu what the engine temp is? to change from cold start enrichment? i am just rambling off random stuff here but let me know if any of you have ran into somthing like this.
there are two seperate temp sensors; one for the gauge, one for the ecu. you should check both for corrosion.

you may also have a bad injector. try pulling spark plug wires, one at a time. if the idle changes, then everything is fine. if it drops, check for spark. if spark is good, check injector, using a multimeter.

when was the last time a tune up was done (plugs, wires, cap, rotor, t-belt, air filter, oil change, etc.)?

Quick Reply: *NOOBIES* The "I am new here,but have a question" thread..(post your questions here)