5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 07:27 PM

How do I disassemble the MAF sensor from the housing? Must I need the security torx key to separate the two?
Old 03-14-2008, 07:44 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by IHAVEA2KMAXIMA
How do I disassemble the MAF sensor from the housing? Must I need the security torx key to separate the two?
yes...
Old 03-14-2008, 07:46 PM

There is a lil blueish green tab, but I donno what it is for. I tried pushing and whatnot but nothing happened. And yes, my engine bay is not the cleanest and yes the screwing corner of my MAF housing is broken.

Old 03-14-2008, 07:52 PM
Cletus

you shouldnt work on your car

1. press in green tab
2. pull off harness from MAF
Old 03-14-2008, 08:13 PM

where can i get me a b-pipe at? i check ebay and a few other searches but cant find nothin
Old 03-14-2008, 08:23 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by p2kmax
where can i get me a b-pipe at? i check ebay and a few other searches but cant find nothin
cattman
classifieds forum
Old 03-14-2008, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by soonerfan
cattman
classifieds forum

thanks sooner ill try the classifieds and ill check out the cattman site...but should i just replace that or get a whole system from the headers back i found a set on ebay but dunno how good they would be.
Old 03-15-2008, 07:02 PM

I'm looking to buy a rear view mirror with the compass. Was the '03 Titanium Edition mirror the same as a '02 mirror except for the compass? (shape, buttons, size) And I saw some Infiniti mirrors on eBay that seem to be the same, wondering if those look the same?

On another note, I bought two new Falken Zeix 912ZEs today, and the front end feels better than the worn out Potenzas, and there is very little wheel hop now. It used to be terrible. Next week or week after that, the other two should arrive.
Old 03-15-2008, 07:23 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by p2kmax
thanks sooner ill try the classifieds and ill check out the cattman site...but should i just replace that or get a whole system from the headers back i found a set on ebay but dunno how good they would be.
you really only NEED the b-pipe for performance. a muffler only adds noise.
Old 03-15-2008, 07:25 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by nebojsa_o
I'm looking to buy a rear view mirror with the compass. Was the '03 Titanium Edition mirror the same as a '02 mirror except for the compass? (shape, buttons, size) And I saw some Infiniti mirrors on eBay that seem to be the same, wondering if those look the same?
its the same and the plug is the same...compass gets power from the same lines as the auto diming.

Originally Posted by nebojsa_o
On another note, I bought two new Falken Zeix 912ZEs today, and the front end feels better than the worn out Potenzas, and there is very little wheel hop now. It used to be terrible. Next week or week after that, the other two should arrive.
should have gotten toyo proxies 4
Old 03-15-2008, 10:09 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

should have gotten toyo proxies 4
Are they really that good? I've got Yokohama 520s with about 80% tread life left so I won't need tires right away, but it is always good to plan ahead.
Old 03-15-2008, 10:13 PM
Go BUCKS!!!

Originally Posted by Scottwax
Are they really that good?
In a word, yes.
Old 03-16-2008, 11:13 AM

i have a 2k maxima se and was looking into buying an air intake and catback exhaust system and was wondering if anyone had suggestions or any advice on what brand to buy or a short ram intake vs a cold air intake
Old 03-16-2008, 11:46 AM
Cletus

Originally Posted by megalos
i have a 2k maxima se and was looking into buying an air intake and catback exhaust system and was wondering if anyone had suggestions or any advice on what brand to buy or a short ram intake vs a cold air intake
berk intake (there is no true CAI currently made)
cattman b-pipe with no muffler
Old 03-16-2008, 12:51 PM

forgive me for being ignorant but i was wondering what part of the exhaust system the b pipe is i'm pretty new to cars but i really want to start learning about performance parts and everything else
Old 03-16-2008, 06:06 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by megalos
forgive me for being ignorant but i was wondering what part of the exhaust system the b pipe is i'm pretty new to cars but i really want to start learning about performance parts and everything else
between cat and muffler
Old 03-16-2008, 06:25 PM

oh alright thanks for the clearification on that
Old 03-17-2008, 05:54 PM

Im currently riding 225/45/18 tires on 350z wheels and looking to drop my car, which drop will be more noticeable Eibach or H&R? Do Illuminas really give you a difference also?
Old 03-17-2008, 06:05 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by Nicktard
Im currently riding 225/45/18 tires on 350z wheels and looking to drop my car, which drop will be more noticeable Eibach or H&R? Do Illuminas really give you a difference also?
or you talking about look? or ride?

here is my car on H&R springs and Z wheels

and yes, Illuminas make a huge difference over other since you can adjust them.

Old 03-17-2008, 06:09 PM

I like the way your back looks but it looks like the front sits a little too high. what size tire are you on? what can you adjust with the illuminas?
Old 03-18-2008, 01:11 AM

Got a noobie question...

If you have your temperature at 90 on your heater/AC and when you turn it off, you can still feel hot air coming from the leg area on the drivers seat. Does this still mean you are using the heater and using gas even though its off? The same applies when you put it to 60 degrees and you get cold air....just curious about this..

I change mine to 60 when i dont need to use it in order to save gas
Old 03-18-2008, 01:17 AM
SHIFT_In2D

Originally Posted by Nicktard
I like the way your back looks but it looks like the front sits a little too high. what size tire are you on? what can you adjust with the illuminas?

Yes H&R's do look like that. From experience, if you have an audio system the rear will be much lower than the front. Progress is a bit lower in the front than the H&Rs, but H&Rs ride the best. Especially paired with Tokico Illuminas.

Illuminas are comfort adjustable from 1-5. With 1 being the softest setting and 5 being the stiffest.

Only with coilovers/ground control (sleeves) are you able to adjust ride height.
Old 03-18-2008, 11:45 AM
Curb Rash Repair 100 a wheel

i gotta newbie question.

I just got a P0133 Code pull. o2 sensor. Bank 1 sensor 1.

1. Is this pre cat or post cat? also front or rear?
2. Looking at oxygensensors.com is the left or right if it is the front?
3. Does anyone have instructions for the universal install? What color represents what?

thanks!
Old 03-18-2008, 12:10 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hi guys, I recently installed a Berk Intake and am really impressed with it overall, however when I hit about 4000 rpm the car start the bounce, shake...not sure how to explain. I removed the intake and tried the oem one and it goes right past 6K smoothly? Is there something else that has to be done if an intake is installed?

Its an 02 maxima 6spd btw.
Old 03-18-2008, 12:39 PM

you really only NEED the b-pipe for performance. a muffler only adds noise.
I thought I read on here that they Y-pipe was also really restrictive in our stock exhaust system. Wouldn't replacing the Y also help out alot?
Old 03-18-2008, 03:23 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I've done some searching on the site about MAF sensors and still have a couple small questions. I apologize if they have already been answered many times. I've so far only read about 50 pages of this particular thread(mostly the beginning and middle). I'm an absolute car newbie as far as tinkering with them(I've only changed a battery and air filter so far) although this site gives me motivation to learn all I can and do my own maintenance if possible.

Anyways, I've seen many-a-thread on cleaning MAF sensors and went out and looked at my car and it seems easy enough. Found my MAF assembly and I felt that removing just the sensor itself would be much easier then removing the whole assembly. Getting at some of those bolts for the assembly would seem to be a pain in the %$#. I did notice though that the screen leading into this assembly had a bit of dirt caked onto it. Is there any easy way of cleaning this screen without having to remove the whole assembly? And should I just use the CRC cleaner to clean this screen or is using a wet microfibre cloth or something similar sufficient? Thanks guys.
Old 03-18-2008, 03:29 PM

5th gen & 5.5gen suspension is interchangable right? specifically springs/struts/top hats? Thanks
Old 03-18-2008, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Maxima112
i gotta newbie question.

I just got a P0133 Code pull. o2 sensor. Bank 1 sensor 1.

1. Is this pre cat or post cat? also front or rear?
2. Looking at oxygensensors.com is the left or right if it is the front?
3. Does anyone have instructions for the universal install? What color represents what?

thanks!
IIRC Bank 1 is on the side closer to the fire wall, and it's in the header.
Old 03-18-2008, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by rony_espana
Hi guys, I recently installed a Berk Intake and am really impressed with it overall, however when I hit about 4000 rpm the car start the bounce, shake...not sure how to explain. I removed the intake and tried the oem one and it goes right past 6K smoothly? Is there something else that has to be done if an intake is installed?

Its an 02 maxima 6spd btw.
Possably a air leak causing a lean spike.
Old 03-18-2008, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Terragarth
I've done some searching on the site about MAF sensors and still have a couple small questions. I apologize if they have already been answered many times. I've so far only read about 50 pages of this particular thread(mostly the beginning and middle). I'm an absolute car newbie as far as tinkering with them(I've only changed a battery and air filter so far) although this site gives me motivation to learn all I can and do my own maintenance if possible.

Anyways, I've seen many-a-thread on cleaning MAF sensors and went out and looked at my car and it seems easy enough. Found my MAF assembly and I felt that removing just the sensor itself would be much easier then removing the whole assembly. Getting at some of those bolts for the assembly would seem to be a pain in the %$#. I did notice though that the screen leading into this assembly had a bit of dirt caked onto it. Is there any easy way of cleaning this screen without having to remove the whole assembly? And should I just use the CRC cleaner to clean this screen or is using a wet microfibre cloth or something similar sufficient? Thanks guys.
Clean that out asap. That screen is after the filter and any dirt that gets loose will end up in your engine.
Old 03-18-2008, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by ohannon7
5th gen & 5.5gen suspension is interchangable right? specifically springs/struts/top hats? Thanks

IIRC they are identical.
Old 03-18-2008, 04:19 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks for the advice. For now I just vacuumed it off, looks clear now. I'll do a more thorough cleaning sometime in the near future. I bought my Maxima used last November and never thought to check the air filter until a few months ago. It was beyond what I consider dirty and probably way past changing time. I'm hoping thats when the dirt got on the screen, and I hope nothing really made it through. My K&N filter seems to be all sealed properly so I don't think the problem is occuring now.
Old 03-18-2008, 08:18 PM

Picked up my 02 6spd a couple of weeks ago. Just got the emmisions done THEN a CEL came on. guy at the oil change place said it was probably MAF and that the max's had like 5 of them...that sounded off. Is there more than one MAF and would cleaning it (what would i do that with) possibly clear it?

Also, two more things. I think i've got the wheel bearing issue. Metal on metal sqeaking from the front while turning at 58k mi. :-\ could i order the bearings online and use a friend's tools to press them in myself? would need instructions but i'm pretty sure the tools are there...

Ans last but not least, the cigg lighters dont work. got my car and went to fry's to get an adapter for my phone, plugged it in and nothing happened. the rear one is also not working. Fuse?
Old 03-18-2008, 08:49 PM

P0505 Idle Air Control Valve , TB, MAF ECM programming

I have read a lot about these issues with the 5th gen.

I have an Infiniti I30 2001.
one night the ECM burnt and next morning it did start but wouldn't turn on unless I pressed on gas while I was starting the car (it was fine when the car was warm). Mechanic said the P0505 code is in the engine and we changed the Throttle body and the ECM, then a friend with Cons. II came and reset the ECM with the Keys.
The guy who programmed the ECM didnt know anything about idle air control programming, he said the computer will learn everything by it self.
at the point a second problem much more major:
The car idled at 1700rpm and when it was warmed up the rpm would go up and down like hiccups. and the engine was acting funny.
When the car is in drive it does not act as bad, it has some nock here and there but in idle it goes crazy.

Do I need to flash the ECM and relearn the idle air by a dealer? will that fix my issue?
or is it something more serious?
like Mass air Flow MAF?

Please advise ASAP...
Old 03-19-2008, 06:43 AM

Bulb Replacement

I am looking at replacing the high beams and wondered what the thoughts were on sylvania silverstars. I'm hoping to get rid of the yellow appearance and find something closer to the HID low beams. Any experiences or input is appreciated.
Old 03-19-2008, 06:57 AM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Originally Posted by kjchevy3
I am looking at replacing the high beams and wondered what the thoughts were on sylvania silverstars. I'm hoping to get rid of the yellow appearance and find something closer to the HID low beams. Any experiences or input is appreciated.
The Silverstars offer some improvement but aren't an identical match.
Old 03-19-2008, 06:59 AM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Originally Posted by Mattlikespeoples
Picked up my 02 6spd a couple of weeks ago. Just got the emmisions done THEN a CEL came on. guy at the oil change place said it was probably MAF and that the max's had like 5 of them...that sounded off. Is there more than one MAF and would cleaning it (what would i do that with) possibly clear it?

Also, two more things. I think i've got the wheel bearing issue. Metal on metal sqeaking from the front while turning at 58k mi. :-\ could i order the bearings online and use a friend's tools to press them in myself? would need instructions but i'm pretty sure the tools are there...

Ans last but not least, the cigg lighters dont work. got my car and went to fry's to get an adapter for my phone, plugged it in and nothing happened. the rear one is also not working. Fuse?
1. You only have 1 MAF sensor and if it was bad, your car won't rev past 2500 rpm. More likely it is an O2 sensor if there are no symptoms (or maybe a bad thermostat) but you really need to pull the code to know.

2. If your friend has the tools and know-how, he should be able to press them in.

3. Fuse is always the first place you look.
Old 03-19-2008, 09:33 AM

thanks scott. car revs JUST fine, thank you

Saw a write up on the wheel bearings...think i'll get it done. yeesh! I'm nowhere close to being that mechanically inclined. I know it's just taking out bolts and fitting little things but i'd forget a step and my wheel would fall off sometime later while driving.

any idea which fuse it is? It's the only electronic thing in the car that doesn't so i guess if it were a fuse then it's be a small dedicated one.

ALSO, how come i cant start any new threads? need to ask some stereo questions in the A/V forum but cant
Old 03-19-2008, 09:35 AM

found the answer to my new thread question. this is post 10/15
Old 03-19-2008, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Scottwax
The Silverstars offer some improvement but aren't an identical match.
Thanks. I don't expect to find an identical match, the ones that are currently in the car are soooo yellow compared to the low beams I was hoping to find something in a halogen that is a little closer.

Quick Reply: 5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread