5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 07:05 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by JHASS
What are your thoughts on using SEAFOAM in the 5th gens? I have seen mixed reviews on this product. I DID SEARCH on google and on the org but saw older posts. My buddy who has a Lexus tried it & said it worked had better tb response.
I have seen some people say it messed up there o2 sensors & had the CEL come on... I am not trying to mess up my engine so any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated, THANKS.

JHASS
there is a multi page thread in the fluids section that i started. it includes a write-up.
Old 01-30-2008, 07:11 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by SunDown13X
Hello guys... sorry for being a noob but I guess everyone starts as one...

A little background on me... I'm I computer graphics artist... that works in construction LOL yeah, so much for my degree... Anyway... I just started my own business and well its taking a told on me... Dont really have the time I used to have to spend it under a car.

I used to owned a 1994 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4... it was pretty well modified, at its best it put down 437 awhp and 463 ft-tq... I missed the car a lot... I sold it this past October, so that I can start my business. I hope to find myself another toy down the road.

Anyway, after the VR4 was sold. I picked up a 2000 Maxima GLE. I always been a fan of Maximas. My father had a 91 a long time ago... then my mother picked up a 96 a few years back, and well still running as strong as day one.

Anyway, the 2000 was a good deal, awesome color too, black interior, fully loaded. I been driving her like my VR4 (easy ) just cruising, showing her off. But just the other day, I put the petal to the metal and to my surprise my maxima made a funny noise at 5k. It sounded like a buzzing noise as it hit 5k to red line.

The car is automatic... shifts like butter. When you go WOT on the car, it down shifts normal and revs fast and strong all the way to 6.5k but once it hits 5k the buzzing noise goes off. I have no idea what it is... tranny? engine? no clue. Im new to maxima engineering but I want to learn... hell I can take apart my old vr4 with my eyes close. but this car is so different. Dont want to **** up anything (yet )

So, has this ever happen to anyone? how can it be fixed? Any help would be appreciated.

Dorian

PS: sorry for being a noob
GLEs have electronic motor mounts. when they go bad, they make that sound. according to a nissan service manager, you can unplug them with no issues. you wont even notice a difference.
Old 01-30-2008, 07:13 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by ktcp643
Just to give you a little history..( I have a 2002 se).About a month ago I went to start my car and it started rough and would not let me go past 2400rpm i think..So I changed the MAF with one from an 01 (part 2y001?) and that fixed my problem. Now the car ran ok, but it felt like i lost a lot of power, more noticeably on the bottom end. i went in to this knowing that I would have to swap over the IAT from the 2002 sensor. But when I bought the sensor, the guy at nissan told me i had to update the ecu. I thought he was trying to scam me so I said no im okay and left. Could this be the problem? Now while changing my oil the other day i decided to swap over the IAT while I had the hood up, this seems to have brought some of the power back. Well now on to the real problem. Everytime I fill my car with gas it has a hard time starting. The first time I tried to turn it over it started for a few seconds then died. i tried again this time giving it a little gas, this time it died and backfired. The third time I just held the key until it started and waited for it to smooth out which it eventually did. This has happened to me the last 4 times I have went to put gas in my car. I usually don't fill it up until the gas light comes on ( I'm a broke college student..lol). But im not sure if the light was on everytime I filled up. Could it be the fuel filter or pump? maybe the ignition (coils or plugs?) I've even heard tps or O2 sensor... Sorry for the long post, wanted to give as much detail in hopes of getting it fixed.
My car does the same if I leave the key in the "ON" position (not running). If I remove the key while filling up, it doesn't do it, try that and while you're at it, kick yourself on the buttocks because you did not change the IAT at the same time you changed the MAF, and at the same time, listen to your dealer (Get the relearn/ECM update). Good Luck.
Old 01-30-2008, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by soonerfan
GLEs have electronic motor mounts. when they go bad, they make that sound. according to a nissan service manager, you can unplug them with no issues. you wont even notice a difference.

Thanks Sooner... you def. made me feel a hell of a lot better with that answer. As soon as I get back to NC... im going to unplug them to see if thats it...

D.
Old 01-30-2008, 07:52 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by SunDown13X
Thanks Sooner... you def. made me feel a hell of a lot better with that answer. As soon as I get back to NC... im going to unplug them to see if thats it...

D.
ask in the correct location...and the correct way...you get answers!!
Old 01-30-2008, 08:02 PM

ask in the correct location...and the correct way...you get answers!!

LOL, don't flame the newbie J. But thanks once again... im learning the ways of this forum... is def. not like some of the others. But at least this place is nicer than the viper ally... LOL those guys cant take a joke... Then again... putting a bullseye on a viper as an avatar wasn't that smart...
Old 01-30-2008, 09:08 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
And another 1:
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....&highlight=maf

I use the stuff everyt ime I clean my K&N.
Well, I drove my car, definitely a 4-10 hp increase at the wheels. I bet I can run 10s easy now.

Actually, power seems to be the same, I don't really get on it enough to notice a small increase or decrease but what I did notice is my transmission shifts are crisper...but I also did a drain and fill of my ATF. 3rd time since I got the car since the fluid was so dirty when I did the first drain and fill (but smelled normal) so that might account for the improved shift feel.
Old 01-31-2008, 05:02 AM

My car does the same if I leave the key in the "ON" position (not running). If I remove the key while filling up, it doesn't do it, try that and while you're at it, kick yourself on the buttocks because you did not change the IAT at the same time you changed the MAF, and at the same time, listen to your dealer (Get the relearn/ECM update). Good Luck.
Yeh, The first time it happened I left the radio in my car and i thought this was the reason why, but it also happens when I take the key out. A few things I forgot to mention is that when I brake, right before I stop it revs up alittle probobly about 300 rpm, it feels like someone doesn't have the right timing while downshifting on a manual transmission and jerks a little bit right before i stop (i hope this will be fixed with the ECM relearn for the MAF). I also am throwing P1440 which was EVAP system something, but as far as I knew this shouldn't have any affect on the car. I'm proboly wrong lol. Alright, so I am going to head to the dealer for the ecm update. Any other thoughts? Thanks.
Old 01-31-2008, 06:07 AM

one more quick thing

when I bring my car to the dealer and tell them i want the ECM relearn/update, are they going to say "you have the wrong MAF" (2y001 on a 2002) thats why its messed up. thanks.
Old 01-31-2008, 06:16 AM

when I bring my car to the dealer and tell them i want the ECM relearn/update, are they going to say "you have the wrong MAF" (2y001 on a 2002) thats why its messed up. thanks.
Don't tell them and see what happens.
Old 01-31-2008, 06:26 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by Scottwax
Actually, power seems to be the same, I don't really get on it enough to notice a small increase or decrease but what I did notice is my transmission shifts are crisper...but I also did a drain and fill of my ATF. 3rd time since I got the car since the fluid was so dirty when I did the first drain and fill (but smelled normal) so that might account for the improved shift feel.
I never notice anything buy a slight increase in max MAF% usage.

right before I stop it revs up alittle probobly about 300 rpm,
Mine does the same.

I also am throwing P1440 which was EVAP system something, but as far as I knew this shouldn't have any affect on the car. I'm proboly wrong lol. Alright, so I am going to head to the dealer for the ecm update. Any other thoughts? Thanks.
Shouldn't have any affect on performance. Check to see if your gas cap is on tight, keep in mind, this is one of the very few times I'll ever suggest going to the dealer

Nope, you'll be fine if you follow spdfreaks advice.
Old 01-31-2008, 08:42 AM

Hey guy hope you'll can help me. My question is what do I have to replace coz everytime i start my car i smell bad fumes even after i drive my car i still smell bad fumes. pls help me
Old 01-31-2008, 10:03 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by s2kver02
Hey guy hope you'll can help me. My question is what do I have to replace coz everytime i start my car i smell bad fumes even after i drive my car i still smell bad fumes. pls help me
My guess would be an exhaust leak.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:46 AM

My guess would be an exhaust leak.
do i have to replace my whole exhaust?
Old 01-31-2008, 10:50 AM

I dont have electronic motor mounts, however when i shut off the car, i sometimes hear a odd whirring running sound from the rear that last a few mins then quiets up, what is this ?
Old 01-31-2008, 11:03 AM
(insert witty one liner)

Originally Posted by Professor`
I dont have electronic motor mounts, however when i shut off the car, i sometimes hear a odd whirring running sound from the rear that last a few mins then quiets up, what is this ?
Fuel pump
Old 01-31-2008, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Iceman420
Fuel pump
After i shut it off?
Old 01-31-2008, 11:47 AM
dot dot dot ...

do i have to replace my whole exhaust?
First verify that it is indeed an exhaust leak and take it from there.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:50 AM
dot dot dot ...

I dont have electronic motor mounts,
Yes you do, all GLE VQ equipped Maxima's do.

however when i shut off the car, i sometimes hear a odd whirring running sound from the rear that last a few mins then quiets up, what is this ?
I get that too, probably the FP.

After i shut it off?
Yes.

I aloso get a strange throttle open/closed scenario that occurs 3-5 seconds after i shut it off, doesn't affect me so
Old 01-31-2008, 05:10 PM

i found a 2002 GLE headlights is this HID?
Old 01-31-2008, 05:55 PM
dot dot dot ...

i found a 2002 GLE headlights is this HID?
Old 01-31-2008, 06:40 PM

Data dot kit

What sup ppl? Im new to the Maxima crew. Just bought a 03, SE/TE model. Had it for a week now. LOVIN IT..... The real question is Where can i buy a datadot hid anti-theif kit?????
I called Nissan Headquarters and they said " all dealerships are independently owned and the can not do anything as far as overriding the dealership to install them for free". A couple of dealer's i called said it was only offered to the first owner on the car and only for the first year.
IS THAT TRUE??????
AND WHERE CAN I BUY MY OWN KIT??
Old 01-31-2008, 06:57 PM
Cletus

datadots is not the same as the anti-theft kit.
you will have to pay for either of them.
Old 01-31-2008, 08:06 PM

ok so how much is either one of them
Old 01-31-2008, 08:16 PM
Cletus

this is the theft deterrent kit (around $150 i think)

http://maxima.theowensfamily.com/tsb/NTB02-117.pdf

datadots are a small serial number etched on the headlights. it isnt nissan specific so you will have to find a place that does it. google it.
Old 01-31-2008, 08:24 PM

What about the braket to protect the hid modual??
Old 01-31-2008, 08:30 PM

i just look at the PDF file with the info from nisann. and i can go to the dealership and pick up this kit????
Old 01-31-2008, 09:12 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by Max Nu-BE
i just look at the PDF file with the info from nisann. and i can go to the dealership and pick up this kit????
yes...or order it from dave b...read the stickies for that info
Old 01-31-2008, 09:29 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Infamous O2 Sensor B1/S2 Replacement

Hi all. I've used the site a couple of times in the past year to do a starter and a radiator replacement. I'm glad I happened to stumble across all the help here!

Anyway, onto my next issue. I've been reading the forum alot today trying to figure out this one little thing for an O2 sensor replacement. The plastic connector at the end of the O2 sensor harness goes up through a hole in the floor board and doesn't seem to want to pull out very easily. I'm worried about damaging something if I pull on it too hard. Any suggestions on how I can get to this disconnected so I can install the new O2 sensor?
Old 01-31-2008, 09:36 PM
Cletus

the old sensor? disconnect both ends and if it doesnt pull through, cut the wire. you are throwing it away anyway.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:23 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

the old sensor? disconnect both ends and if it doesnt pull through, cut the wire. you are throwing it away anyway.
Yes, the old sensor. I cannot get to the plastic electronic connector (up in the floor board) of the old sensor to disconnect it. Maybe I'm not being clear because I don't see how cutting the wire would help since I'd still need to disconnect the old connector in order to connect the new connector.

Also, to throw this in, I noticed a severed grounding wire near that O2 sensor. Could that be behind the P0138/139 codes?
-----------------------------------
UPDATE:

I just finished replacing the old sensor. The plastic electronic connector was REALLY stuck. I had to push up the foam padding between the floorboard and carpet and yank pretty hard, but it finally came out. Getting the sensor itself loose was another task even though I applied some PB Blaster and let it sit for awhile. I ended up putting the 22mm wrench on it and giving it a kick. Probably not the ideal way to do it, but it loosened up immediately. Let's hope the CEL doesn't come back on. I was looking through my work receipts since I bought the car and noticed I had the MAF replaced about 70,000 miles ago (155k now).
I still don't know about that severed grounding wire. I'll be looking into that this weekend.

Next up...suspension cuz I have two torn boots in the front. I'll probably let the pros at the dealership do that.

Last edited by austindragon; 02-01-2008 at 02:08 PM.
Old 02-01-2008, 01:16 AM

WHats the speaker size on the front and back speakers on a 2000 MAxima without Bose
Old 02-01-2008, 02:09 AM

I aloso get a strange throttle open/closed scenario that occurs 3-5 seconds after i shut it off, doesn't affect me so
If it's the same as mine I heard a throttle sounding flop a few secs after I was out of my car and I think it was the flap in the stock muffler. I had that untill the day I replaces the stock muffler.

Last edited by 00SEMAX19; 02-01-2008 at 02:12 AM.
Old 02-01-2008, 04:27 AM

my friend told me about nos yesterday. any of you guys use it?
Old 02-01-2008, 04:41 AM
wat

Originally Posted by TeH BawNeY
die
in
a
fire
Old 02-01-2008, 05:12 AM

LOL!! Nos is a brand, yes people here use nitrous. You don't need it. And if you really wanna buy Nos, they make a energy drink now, and a octane booster...
Old 02-01-2008, 05:13 AM
the org...not what it was

Originally Posted by TeH BawNeY
seriously?
Old 02-01-2008, 06:25 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by 00SEMAX19
If it's the same as mine I heard a throttle sounding flop a few secs after I was out of my car and I think it was the flap in the stock muffler. I had that untill the day I replaces the stock muffler.
I know mine is my throttle because it happens just before the SAFC powers down, and it reads 20%, then shoots to 60%, then goes to 0%. And I can can hear a mechanical flap/buzz/motor type thing.
Old 02-01-2008, 07:48 AM

Yes you do, all GLE VQ equipped Maxima's do.

I get that too, probably the FP.

Yes.

thats concerning, says gle on the back but there is no electronic motor mounts. Ill take pics for proof.
Old 02-01-2008, 07:53 AM

Struts?

I have an o2 gle and damaged my front passenger side struts

my question is what other models and cars have the same struts as my 02 gle?

Quick Reply: 5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread