5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 01:35 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by pmohr
Did you search?

Search 'bose cd left speaker', you'll find all sorts of relevant threads. The HU is crap, basically.

Again, if you search: http://forums.maxima.org/feedback-su...rt-thread.html

Search before asking any question, and 99% of the time you'll find your answer without having to post a new thread. This is part of the reason the post count limit exists, so newbies don't come on here and start making threads about topics that have been beaten to death.
Sorry, I was also just interested in posting a friend of mine's Max in the for sale section, but couldnt. I will know to search in the future...
Sorry
Old 07-09-2009, 02:39 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

cali / fed

hey fellas, got a question just bought another 2000 se and i was wondering what all the differences where between a cali and a fed car was and what would i need to do to change it to fed. thanks
Old 07-09-2009, 02:52 PM
Wat

Originally Posted by liljohn00se
hey fellas, got a question just bought another 2000 se and i was wondering what all the differences where between a cali and a fed car was and what would i need to do to change it to fed. thanks
Pre-cats and ECU. It's a bit of a chore to change from one to the other.
Old 07-09-2009, 03:11 PM

i rock the cali spec...emissions is a beotchhhh
Old 07-09-2009, 03:17 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by E55AMG2
Pre-cats and ECU. It's a bit of a chore to change from one to the other.
is there any real power differences between the too? if i bought some headers that takes care of the precats what about the o2s are they the different to.
Old 07-09-2009, 03:25 PM

is there any real power differences between the too? if i bought some headers that takes care of the precats what about the o2s are they the different to.

i think fed specs are still able to pass emissions even when theyre running headers that remove the two precats....im pretty sure you cant do that on cali specs
Old 07-09-2009, 07:15 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Neebie needs help

I have a 2003 SE Titanium Edition w/52,000 miles. Check engine light will not go out even though its been cleared several times. The code that I get off of my scan tool is P1490 ( Vacuum cut valve bypass valve Circut) I have tried to locate it and can't. Does anyone know where its located - is it under the hood or where to even look for so I can replace the part.

Thanks in advance for any help
Old 07-09-2009, 07:21 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by ohio_cop_32
I have a 2003 SE Titanium Edition w/52,000 miles. Check engine light will not go out even though its been cleared several times. The code that I get off of my scan tool is P1490 ( Vacuum cut valve bypass valve Circut) I have tried to locate it and can't. Does anyone know where its located - is it under the hood or where to even look for so I can replace the part.

Thanks in advance for any help

Back by the spare tire well.
Old 07-09-2009, 07:48 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Back by the spare tire well.
Do you happen to know if this is a dealer only part? Also is it a common problem?
Old 07-09-2009, 07:52 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by ohio_cop_32
Do you happen to know if this is a dealer only part? Also is it a common problem?
Emissions equipment like this does tend to be a dealer only part.

Probably not very common, no.

I believe it would be this part here:
17372-1W200, $84.36 each at Courtesy

If you want to go for brand new OEM, call Dave Burnette (1-888-254-6060), he'll be the cheapest dealer you'll find. Personally I'd look for a partout in the classifieds, get a used one.
Old 07-10-2009, 07:26 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I own 2000 Maxima SE, bought it brand new now it has 155k+ on it.
Lately the Service Engine Light start to go ON and OFF. Scan showed P0171 code. Based on my research the problem is not very specific to the particular par. Try to clean MAF Air Sensor with the compressed air, but it didn't help. The light keeps going on and off for no reason. The car runs and accelerates just fine.
Do you think it might be wise to bring it to Nissan dealer verses using the help of the local mechanic.
Any thought or suggestions of where to start the diagnosis will be appreciated.

- Len (Packer1998@comcast.net) -
Old 07-10-2009, 02:05 PM

is there a way to get around the torx screws that houses the maf sensor? I thought I read there is a way to remove the screws by getting a wood screwdriver or something at home depot?

And also I have some deep scratches and chipped paint is there anyway I can fix this? I found a Touch Up Paint Pen for CS3 at courtesy nissan parts. But, is this enough to fix the deep scratches, they are as if someone used a key against the side of the car.

Last edited by nos879; 07-10-2009 at 02:09 PM.
Old 07-10-2009, 03:11 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by nos879
is there a way to get around the torx screws that houses the maf sensor? I thought I read there is a way to remove the screws by getting a wood screwdriver or something at home depot?
Why not just use the proper tool? Torx bits/sockets/drivers are pretty cheap...
Old 07-10-2009, 08:50 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

hello im new here and i have a question i just bought a 2000 max about a month ago and i noticed the cel was on when i test drove it but the car ran fine then nothing major i thought, im a mechanic and even this is a little confusing to me i checked the ecm with a solus pro and got a P1335 crankshaft position sensor (ref) so i replaced it along with the rear one and just the other day leaving to go to work it would not start it has always had a hard starting problem but not this bad well 25 mins and 2 batterys later it started so i went to work when i was going to go home after work again no start checked the wiring to the ecm from both sensors all good checked the sensors all good what else can i do maybe the ecm itself is bad?? any help would be great
Old 07-10-2009, 08:57 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by cantgetright220
hello im new here and i have a question i just bought a 2000 max about a month ago and i noticed the cel was on when i test drove it but the car ran fine then nothing major i thought, im a mechanic and even this is a little confusing to me i checked the ecm with a solus pro and got a P1335 crankshaft position sensor (ref) so i replaced it along with the rear one and just the other day leaving to go to work it would not start it has always had a hard starting problem but not this bad well 25 mins and 2 batterys later it started so i went to work when i was going to go home after work again no start checked the wiring to the ecm from both sensors all good checked the sensors all good what else can i do maybe the ecm itself is bad?? any help would be great
Are you getting any more/different codes?

Have you checked to see why it won't start? Spark/fuel?

Do you know anything about the service history? Anything that was done to the car immediately prior to the starting problem?
Old 07-10-2009, 09:03 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Are you getting any more/different codes?

Have you checked to see why it won't start? Spark/fuel?

Do you know anything about the service history? Anything that was done to the car immediately prior to the starting problem?

no more codes at all and its a hard code will not go away, good fuel pressure good spark thats why this so confusing to me i thiught maybe someone here might know a little more than me about these cars and no servise history the guy i bought it from was a little on the dumb side
Old 07-10-2009, 09:05 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by cantgetright220
no more codes at all and its a hard code will not go away, good fuel pressure good spark thats why this so confusing to me i thiught maybe someone here might know a little more than me about these cars and no servise history the guy i bought it from was a little on the dumb side
Not fuel pressure, output from the injectors. Noid light, pull the rail, whatever.

Another quick check, security light on with the key in the ON or start positions? Shouldn't be.
Old 07-10-2009, 09:08 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Not fuel pressure, output from the injectors. Noid light, pull the rail, whatever.

Another quick check, security light on with the key in the ON or start positions? Shouldn't be.

no havent checked with noid light i will do that tommorrow no the security light is not on
Old 07-10-2009, 09:54 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

hey i just recently purchased a 4d 2000 maxima and I'm wanting to modify it (body mods, custom paint jobs, etc. no engine mods at the moment). thing is i dont know where to begin or what places locally i can get the installed body kits and other stuff done (i live in Birmingham, Al, if anyone knows any custom shops or such that could maybe help) and I'm trying to make it look the stereo-typical street racing car (awesome paint, cool body, neon lights, etc.) any help would be much appreciated
Old 07-10-2009, 09:57 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by FullSpeed
hey i just recently purchased a 4d 2000 maxima and I'm wanting to modify it (body mods, custom paint jobs, etc. no engine mods at the moment). thing is i dont know where to begin or what places locally i can get the installed body kits and other stuff done (i live in Birmingham, Al, if anyone knows any custom shops or such that could maybe help) and I'm trying to make it look the stereo-typical street racing car (awesome paint, cool body, neon lights, etc.) any help would be much appreciated

Have you tried, I don't know, looking in the phone book? Googling? I get quite a few hits for around your area.

Quick question, how old are you?
Old 07-10-2009, 10:02 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Have you tried, I don't know, looking in the phone book? Googling? I get quite a few hits for around your area.

Quick question, how old are you?
i just bought the car today and im 18. i found this site while looking for things on modifying the car, so i figured it would be a lot quicker if i asked people who where more knowledgeable about modifications and such for maximas.
Old 07-11-2009, 11:24 AM

i just bought the car today and im 18. i found this site while looking for things on modifying the car, so i figured it would be a lot quicker if i asked people who where more knowledgeable about modifications and such for maximas.
That's what this site is about. Helping out and eeping people fromp doing stupid things. If you ask about a mod before doing it, it might save you from mistakes people have made in the past.

Also, this site really helps people who help themselves.
Old 07-11-2009, 02:28 PM

thanks for all your help pmohr. What can I do to replace the broken paint chips and remove scratches? I know my color is Cs3 but paint chips seems like a more difficult thing to do.
Old 07-11-2009, 08:15 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by fflint_18
That's what this site is about. Helping out and eeping people fromp doing stupid things. If you ask about a mod before doing it, it might save you from mistakes people have made in the past.

Also, this site really helps people who help themselves.
thanks, i was wondering if anyone knew what all i can do to add extra horsepower to the engine
Old 07-11-2009, 08:20 PM
No more Maximas...

thanks, i was wondering if anyone knew what all i can do to add extra horsepower to the engine
Have you searched?

It's a quite common question, and as such there are many many answers available to you, should you search.

Before you ask a question, always consult this page. 99% of the time, it will answer your questions.
Old 07-12-2009, 10:56 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

5th gen drivers door handle replacement

anyone have a how to guide on this?
Old 07-12-2009, 10:58 AM

i got water in my spare tire area..lots.. i dunno how it got in there.. 3 weeks ago i noticed the mat in the trunk was wet..i thought just a water leak.. i opened my trunk today to clear out stuff, i saw the whole spare tire was soaked in water. Is it possible for this to cause a short circuit? i had battery draining issue. i and the stupid dealer both tested the drain and alternator, everything was fine. anyway..is there a place where the water might get into the trunk? so maybe i can replace the seal or something. thx
Old 07-12-2009, 11:01 AM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by Bl_asd1
i got water in my spare tire area..lots.. i dunno how it got in there.. 3 weeks ago i noticed the mat in the trunk was wet..i thought just a water leak.. i opened my trunk today to clear out stuff, i saw the whole spare tire was soaked in water. Is it possible for this to cause a short circuit? i had battery draining issue. i and the stupid dealer both tested the drain and alternator, everything was fine. anyway..is there a place where the water might get into the trunk? so maybe i can replace the seal or something. thx

Test for a parasitic drain, it shouldn't be that hard to find what is doing it.

It could affect a harness, but there aren't that many in the trunk area.

Have you done any testing for where the water is coming through yet? Put someone in the trunk with a flashlight, spray it with a hose. Check all of the weatherstripping around the trunk, and make sure it isn't coming from around the tails (have you ever removed the taillights?).
Old 07-12-2009, 11:03 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by waterqtr

What holds the front of the lock on? I took off the 1 10mm bolt, what else holds it on?
Old 07-12-2009, 11:10 AM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by waterqtr

Old 07-13-2009, 10:29 AM

You know you will have to do engine mods if you want horsepower, but you can keep it simple- cold air intake, headers, exhaust, racing chip.

That should be more than enough extra power without to much labour
Old 07-13-2009, 10:50 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

i have a newbie question lol.

i have a 01 max. i have a set of anniversary 350z wheels to put on it, but i want some drilled rotors but im looking for some that wont rust easily or even at all. let me know thanks. the wheels are 18x8 in front and 18x5 in the back anything else i should know about going from stock to this setup.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:53 AM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by nzelinsky
You know you will have to do engine mods if you want horsepower, but you can keep it simple- cold air intake, headers, exhaust, racing chip.

That should be more than enough extra power without to much labour
...racing chip? Care to share?

Originally Posted by MotionBleu_2010
i have a newbie question lol.

i have a 01 max. i have a set of anniversary 350z wheels to put on it, but i want some drilled rotors but im looking for some that wont rust easily or even at all. let me know thanks. the wheels are 18x8 in front and 18x5 in the back anything else i should know about going from stock to this setup.
18x5? You sure about that?

FWIW, unless you're going for looks, cross-drilled rotors aren't going to affect your braking in any sort of substantial way. Mostly what you're going to notice is an odd sound when you're slowing at low speeds (parking lots, etc) and the possibility of them cracking at the drill spots (depending on manufacturer).
Old 07-13-2009, 11:03 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

what is FWIW, it seems like online lingo gets more advanced everyday. but nah im not sure. but i know rear is half inch bigger then front. but at any rate. what rotors give best performance with drilled look. but if im looking for best performance and forget the drilled rotors but what brand rotors and pads without spending a grip.

- best air intake. short ram or cai
-simple exhaust

i know its alot, but thanks for help
Old 07-13-2009, 11:05 AM
No more Maximas...

what is FWIW, it seems like online lingo gets more advanced everyday. but nah im not sure. but i know rear is half inch bigger then front. but at any rate. what rotors give best performance with drilled look. but if im looking for best performance and forget the drilled rotors but what brand rotors and pads without spending a grip.

- best air intake. short ram or cai
-simple exhaust

i know its alot, but thanks for help
http://www.google.com/search?client=...utf-8&oe=utf-8

If the rear is a half inch bigger, then how do 18x8 and 18x5 make any sense? That's 3 inches narrower, not a half inch wider.

Just go Brembo blanks and your preference of pads, most seem to prefer Hawk HPS.

Have you searched at all? The intake/exhaust questions have been asked and answered countless times.
Old 07-13-2009, 11:11 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

i am posting in the section that is title "IM NEW HERE AND HAVE A QUESTION" if you dont want to answer thats fine. 18x8.5 simple typing mistake im not stupid i know how to measure inches. it was a simple typing mistake, i research more than enough. only reason i asked you was because i was looking the amount of post you had and seemed you are educated and a good person to ask. but nevermind that, thanks for the info u gave me
Old 07-13-2009, 11:14 AM
No more Maximas...

i am posting in the section that is title "IM NEW HERE AND HAVE A QUESTION" if you dont want to answer thats fine. 18x8.5 simple typing mistake im not stupid i know how to measure inches. it was a simple typing mistake, i research more than enough. only reason i asked you was because i was looking the amount of post you had and seemed you are educated and a good person to ask. but nevermind that, thanks for the info u gave me

Just looking for clarification, no reason to go all aggro.

If you do research, you will finds hundreds of threads about which intake to get, which exhaust to get, etc etc.
Old 07-13-2009, 11:19 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

its kool. i have seen the hundreds been to maxus 09 and other dc area meets but different people will give you different personal opinions and i am one to if i am going to spend money on my love (car) i just really like to hear what people have to say personally. so trust me no hard feelings, just had to let u know im serious ill do more research though lol thanks
Old 07-13-2009, 09:04 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I purchased a 2000 maxima gle. I noticed the trunk light is not on. I replace the bulb but still no light. Can someone tell me which fuse comes to the trunk light? I don't have the fuse panel cover so I can tell what belongs to what.

thanks.
Old 07-14-2009, 05:19 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Problems

I have an 02 GLE and have run into the typical problem with the head unit where the driver door speaker cuts out when playing CDs. I've read the ways to fix it but am not particularly handy, so I was more curious what head units were compatible with the stereo to avoid messing up the utility of the steering wheel.

The bigger issue is that the car flooded over night in a flash flood up to the bottom of the seats. Most everything is back to normal, the only leftover problems are a blinking airbag indicator light and the carpets are a little damp and wet (and they smell obviously). I have tried leaving it in the sun, I have tried damprid, but it has been a week and while it has improved it is still a problem. Any ideas? Anything I should look out for? I checked the oil and transmission fluid and they don't show the signs of being watered down.

Quick Reply: 5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread