5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by mambito1
What are my options for suspension? without changing SPRINGS. Any advice is Greatly appreciated. I will post pics of the car soon. I need to get it repaired this weekend
New struts...

See this: http://www.shiftice.com/spring_strut_decision.html
Old 09-23-2009, 06:13 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey i have a 2000 maxima SE.
So a few months ago it started trembling everytime while paused (breaked)...then one day it just decided to not start. I think the batteries dead now since its been sitting and it wont crank.
I thought it might have been fuel injector or maybe some coils...but my dad had just gotten new coils on that..
Ive heard of similar stories with the 00 maxima....anyone think they can help me?

it would also overheat alot while on idle...and trembeling

Last edited by zar's car; 09-23-2009 at 06:19 PM.
Old 09-23-2009, 06:28 PM

Can someone help me please...

I bought A 02 6spd.

1st And largest problem i am having is the Car lacks alot of power. It Revs but doesn't really go anywhere. If i try to let up the clutch and gun it, It doesn't spin tires or anything. I have had a few friends (also members) drive the car dont think it is the clutch because RPM's dont shoot up. there is just not any Go power... Drives like a 4 cylinder.

When i pull the codes i get PO455, P1448, P0021, P0430...

2nd problem. Maybe it could be the transmission because it is very hard too put in Rev. when i do get it into reverse it has a Mild Shake when backing up.

I have Replaced the Cam Crank and Crank sensor ref.

Any Insight from anyone is good.
Old 09-23-2009, 11:36 PM

[QUOTE=nzelinsky;7214851]If it's the same as an 02 its 8". Yes you can put a better sub in the same spot... waste of money that 8" is pretty decent. Just build a box and throw a 12" in your trunk like me. 8+12=win!

What else would i need to buy besides a box and the sub? Just connect to with the existing wires(keeping other sub hooked up), or using the RCA cables out of the back of my receiver, or something else??
Old 09-24-2009, 08:58 AM

Can anyone help me out or direct me to some good info... I'm going to make purchases this afternoon:

I got a quote on some Duralast coils from Autozone...anyone have any reasons as to why I should not buy them?

Also... brake pads and rotors... I need suggestions!
Old 09-24-2009, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by orchard
Can anyone help me out or direct me to some good info... I'm going to make purchases this afternoon:

I got a quote on some Duralast coils from Autozone...anyone have any reasons as to why I should not buy them?

Also... brake pads and rotors... I need suggestions!
I've been running a set of 6 coils that I bought from Autozone and Amazon.com, for over a year now with no problem. They all have the gray dot on top (usually hidden by a silver sticker) meaning that they are the updated coilpacks.
I'm also running a set of Prostop ceramic brake pads from Pepboys, that I purchased along with 2 rotors, and have no complaints so far.
Old 09-24-2009, 12:09 PM

I bought a 2003 SE Automatic a month back with 75k miles on it. I have a couple of issues with it
1. I hear a screeching noise on my steering wheel when i turn and back it up from parking. Any idea what can cause this? Does the steering need some lubrication?
2. The gear shift seems too tight when i transfer it from P to R. Any idea why?

Thanks for your responses.
Old 09-24-2009, 12:17 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Mayaram
I bought a 2003 SE Automatic a month back with 75k miles on it. I have a couple of issues with it
1. I hear a screeching noise on my steering wheel when i turn and back it up from parking. Any idea what can cause this? Does the steering need some lubrication?
2. The gear shift seems too tight when i transfer it from P to R. Any idea why?

Thanks for your responses.
1) Look around underneath for any debris stuck in the car. I had a twig jammed between my fuel lines on my old ford and it would make a screeching noise over bumps.
2) This happens to me when I park my car too forward and the subframe is resting on the curb or parking block stop.
Old 09-24-2009, 12:21 PM

I bought A 02 6spd.

1st And largest problem i am having is the Car lacks alot of power. It Revs but doesn't really go anywhere. If i try to let up the clutch and gun it, It doesn't spin tires or anything. I have had a few friends (also members) drive the car dont think it is the clutch because RPM's dont shoot up. there is just not any Go power... Drives like a 4 cylinder.

When i pull the codes i get PO455, P1448, P0021, P0430...

2nd problem. Maybe it could be the transmission because it is very hard too put in Rev. when i do get it into reverse it has a Mild Shake when backing up.

I have Replaced the Cam Crank and Crank sensor ref.

Any Insight from anyone is good.
Old 09-24-2009, 03:07 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

lol ya in not dumb its on .....but for real !!!!
Old 09-24-2009, 03:12 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by ridinwitha35
Make sure car is on; engine doesn't need to be started.
yes i know that ... i have used three diff scanners!!!!
Old 09-24-2009, 04:09 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Ok, im thinking about buying my first Max. As with any purchase, im doing a lot of research. One thing I cant seem to figure out are the foglights lol. Im wondering if a standard HID kit can be installed into our fogs. I want yellow light so I know 3k is the color. When I searched this topic I kept seeing somehting about Helios and other kits. Simply put, can I just insall HIDs into the stock fog light housing?
Old 09-24-2009, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by zrichardson86
Ok, im thinking about buying my first Max. As with any purchase, im doing a lot of research. One thing I cant seem to figure out are the foglights lol. Im wondering if a standard HID kit can be installed into our fogs. I want yellow light so I know 3k is the color. When I searched this topic I kept seeing somehting about Helios and other kits. Simply put, can I just insall HIDs into the stock fog light housing?
Yes.

Check out the Group Deal section. They are selling them there. It will cost about $60 for a H3 HID Xenon kit. If you want yellow, you need to get tint overlay or lexus capsules.
Old 09-24-2009, 08:26 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by VQP0WER
Yes.

Check out the Group Deal section. They are selling them there. It will cost about $60 for a H3 HID Xenon kit. If you want yellow, you need to get tint overlay or lexus capsules.
I was looking into the lexus capsules, not only could i not find them, the install is way out of my league. Isnt 3000k yellow by default?
Old 09-28-2009, 06:03 PM

Today i wanted to replace a bulb in my car for the interior roof light in the front while doing so i think i short circuited something because i was doing it with the light turned on the whole time. after that my keyless stopeed working, for the lock unlock trunk an panic, also all my interior roof lights dont work anymore, my rear defog doesnt work, an the central locking on the door doesnt work either, and all my Trip mileage for Trip A an B got reset to 0, i checked the fuses an the only one that blew was the dome light one i replaced it but now change. can u please help me

Last edited by I30_2000; 09-29-2009 at 08:04 AM.
Old 09-28-2009, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by I30_2000
Today i wanted to replace a bulb in my car for the interior roof light in the front while doing so i think i short circuited something because i was doing it with the light turned on the whole time. after that my keyless stopeed working, for the lock unlock trunk an panic, also all my interior roof lights dont work anymore, my rear defog doesnt work, an the central locking on the door doesnt work either, and all my Trip mileage for Trip A an B got reset to 0, i checked the fuses an the only one that blew was the dome light one i replaced it but now change. can u PLEASE help me
-Maybe a dumb suggestion, but.....Did you check all the fuses in the fusebox under the hood by the battery as well as the driver's side footwell? I blew one in the box by the battery at least once.
Old 09-28-2009, 07:25 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Original Bose Stereo Problems

I noticed today that I was not able to function any aspect of my radio and all it said was "telephone" on the RDS display. My question is, has anyone else had this happen to them before? I am planning on replacing it since the ribbon cable has come loose from the changer. I am just stumped on what could have caused this to occur.
Old 09-28-2009, 07:25 PM

that was the 1st thing i checked wen all that stopped working. the one by my knee blew the room lamp fuse, so i replaced it but nothing changed at all, i checked all the fuses by the battery and by my knee and also the keyless relay and all that stuff seems to be fine
Old 09-28-2009, 07:38 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

is the output shaft speed sensor the vehicle speed sensor or is it something else? i now have a code and no access to a repair manual. trans slips but when turned off and restarted it is fine. has any1 had a similar problem?

Last edited by killamax808; 09-30-2009 at 10:43 PM.
Old 09-28-2009, 07:47 PM

im sorry i have no clue as to wat that all means lol
Old 09-28-2009, 07:48 PM

unless that wasnt written to me lol
Old 09-29-2009, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by I30_2000
unless that wasnt written to me lol
Please quote the post you are talking about.
Old 09-29-2009, 07:40 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I am probably the 8,000th person to ask this question, but my wife has the 20th anniversary model and her head lights are pitted beyond the point of repair. Can someone please give me a link to the cheapest place to get new OEM replacements (not aftermarket)? It is her birthday in a few weeks and I would love to surprise her. Her grille is badly faded too if someone can link me to that. I checked the thread about 5th gen parts but it seems like a good chunk of them are aftermarket sellers. I figured someone on here has found a good deal somewhere before.

If there aren't any good OEM options, has anyone had good luck with a particular ebay seller of aftermarket ones? I want to keep the 20th anniversary look. Thanks!
Old 09-30-2009, 03:09 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have reassembled my new rear struts and want to put them back in the car. Do I use the spring compressors on the coils to install the new struts? Where do I jack up the cart and place the jack stands.

Not as good as I once was. This ain't no SSS396 Nova
Kenfro
Old 09-30-2009, 03:22 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Oil Leak Diagnosis

Hello, everyone

I found a oil leak of my 2002 Max around the rear passenger corner of the oil pan (see pics). Today I jacked the car up and use my finger to search for the source of the leak and spotted the marked regions with excessive and FRESH oil. I did my own oil and replaced the filter a month ago and then drove very gently. There is no oil anywhere on the filter though.

Any suggestions and helps are highly appreciated! If the repair is not very involved, I might fix it by myself.

Thanks a bunch!

Last edited by imdupeng; 09-30-2009 at 03:27 PM.
Old 09-30-2009, 03:30 PM

krsmax, what do you mean exactly when you say you reassembled your rear struts? The only assembly with the rear shocks are throwing your boot on the shaft, the bottom shock-mount parts, putting the (compressed) spring over shock, and then putting the top hat on the shock. If you have the shock/springs/mount already assembled then you just drop it in place. I found it was easier to leave the spring a little bit compressed when trying to install it (fit-test) so that you can rotate it as needed. Then once you're sure it fits, tighten the top-hat down and fully uncompress the spring. Jack up under the axle and throw stands by the standard jack points (under rear doors).

imdupeng, I had the same problem. Most-likely you just need to replace the lower oil pan. Pretty simple job (and I'm a newbie). Drain oil, take out the 10 oil pan bolts (careful 'cause they are easy to break), get a putty knife to separate the pan from the upper pan, seal up the new pan with silicone/rtv, bolt it up (these bolts do not require much torque!), fill up oil. My thread...towards the bottom is where I actually did it.

Edit: imdupeng, another possibility is your leak is from your oil pressure switch and/or oil-cooler o-ring/gasket.

Last edited by ridinwitha35; 09-30-2009 at 03:37 PM.
Old 09-30-2009, 03:57 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by ridinwitha35
imdupeng, another possibility is your leak is from your oil pressure switch and/or oil-cooler o-ring/gasket.
Thanks, ridinwitha35!

I suspected it was the old O-ring that caused the leak since I might have forgot to take it out before installing the new one. But there is no oil around the filter. Could the O-ring still be the culprit? If yes, that will be easier than pulling out the oil pan.

Thanks
Old 09-30-2009, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by imdupeng
Hello, everyone

I found a oil leak of my 2002 Max around the rear passenger corner of the oil pan (see pics). Today I jacked the car up and use my finger to search for the source of the leak and spotted the marked regions with excessive and FRESH oil. I did my own oil and replaced the filter a month ago and then drove very gently. There is no oil anywhere on the filter though.

Any suggestions and helps are highly appreciated! If the repair is not very involved, I might fix it by myself.

Thanks a bunch!
time to drop the pan and get it re-sealed!
Old 09-30-2009, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by krsmax
I have reassembled my new rear struts and want to put them back in the car. Do I use the spring compressors on the coils to install the new struts? Where do I jack up the cart and place the jack stands.

Not as good as I once was. This ain't no SSS396 Nova
Kenfro
If i understand you correctly...

1. NO you dont need the spring compressors on the coil when putting your suspension back on the car.

2. If you still have your car's manual, you can locate the car's jacking point in the "do it yourself" section.
Old 09-30-2009, 05:37 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

2001 I30 radiator fan running on high

I had my thermostat replaced and now when the car comes up to temp the radiator fans run at high speed, but when I switch on the A/C the fans go to low speed. Isn't this backwards? Car is running normally otherwise.
Old 09-30-2009, 07:01 PM

D2 or Ksport?

I am looking at getting the KSport set up or the D2's looking at what people have to say about either set up, PRO's CON'S
Old 10-01-2009, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by b15philly
I am looking at getting the KSport set up or the D2's looking at what people have to say about either set up, PRO's CON'S
Check the suspension thread or do a search. I believe you'll find your answer there.
Old 10-01-2009, 02:25 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Torque specs rear strut bolts 2000 GLE

Thanks to all who helped me with my post on the rear struts for a Maxima GLE 2000. Can someone please tell me what the torque specs are for the top hat bolt and the 2 outside nuts?

Kenfro
Old 10-01-2009, 02:34 PM

Thanks to all who helped me with my post on the rear struts for a Maxima GLE 2000. Can someone please tell me what the torque specs are for the top hat bolt and the 2 outside nuts?

Kenfro
Download the service manual available in my signature. It will tell you all that stuff.
Old 10-01-2009, 08:15 PM

Kenfro
18 ft-lbs for top hat
25 ft-lbs for mounting nuts

Keep in mind this is with tires on the ground (as you should do when messing with any suspension part with rubber).
Old 10-02-2009, 11:48 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

i am thinking a swap???

Hey guys i have a 2000 nissan maxima 3.0L vq30de, now if i wanted to swap for a vq35de how would i go about that? whats the cost of parts and will my tranny bolt onto a 3.5? i have not been able to find an answer to my question anywhere so please help me out, and if possible suspension work needed? i just dont know what the realistic cost of this would be, or if it is even worth it.. so please help!!
Old 10-02-2009, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by jarad0215
Hey guys i have a 2000 nissan maxima 3.0L vq30de, now if i wanted to swap for a vq35de how would i go about that? whats the cost of parts and will my tranny bolt onto a 3.5? i have not been able to find an answer to my question anywhere so please help me out, and if possible suspension work needed? i just dont know what the realistic cost of this would be, or if it is even worth it.. so please help!!
-Sell and buy an 02/03?? Seriously though. You might be able to do that for the same price of an engine and you'd have all the other newer features + a car that's newer...
Old 10-02-2009, 02:38 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

i have D2's on my 02 max... ilove them.... it feels like your riding on rails
Old 10-02-2009, 03:31 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

ok so i guess nobody knows what a vss is ok on cars with 4 wheel abs there are four sensor on each hub with a reluctor wheel and a magnertic pick up sensor these are known as wheel speed sensors then you have one on the transmission output shaft known as a vehicle speed sensor i am not famillar with nissan terminology i scanned my car and had an output shaft speed sensor code i do not know if it is reffering to the vss or if it is a totally different sensor my car stalls in low gear intermittently but when i turn the key off and restart the car it is fine so that right there tells me that the trans controls is engaging the tcc when the car is trying to accelerate instead of it going into its coupling point like it is supposed to so has anyone had a problem similar to this or do you know if the output shaft speed sensor is nissans term for a vehicle speed sensor (vss)

Last edited by killamax808; 10-02-2009 at 03:33 PM.
Old 10-02-2009, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by killamax808
ok so i guess nobody knows what a vss is ok on cars with 4 wheel abs there are four sensor on each hub with a reluctor wheel and a magnertic pick up sensor these are known as wheel speed sensors then you have one on the transmission output shaft known as a vehicle speed sensor i am not famillar with nissan terminology i scanned my car and had an output shaft speed sensor code i do not know if it is reffering to the vss or if it is a totally different sensor my car stalls in low gear intermittently but when i turn the key off and restart the car it is fine so that right there tells me that the trans controls is engaging the tcc when the car is trying to accelerate instead of it going into its coupling point like it is supposed to so has anyone had a problem similar to this or do you know if the output shaft speed sensor is nissans term for a vehicle speed sensor (vss)
The speed sensors at the wheels only control ABS/cruise functions. The VSS on our cars is the one in the transaxle. If you have a P0500, that is the one.

Quick Reply: 5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread