5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 05:39 AM

Part # and/or description

Originally Posted by VQP0WER
Your resistor pack needs to be replaced. I believe it's mounted on the fan housing behind your glove box. It will have a bunch of wires going into it.
Will the parts dealer know which resistor pack? Any idea of cost?
Thanks
Old 04-27-2010, 10:37 AM

MAF Sensor experiment: Last Fall the SES code said my sensor was bad. I replaced it and all was well for months. Now SES came on early March for the O2 sensor (bk1,sen1) and after 6-8 weeks I replaced it. SES disappeared due to disconnection of the battery. SES comes back on a week later and car has still been running very, very rough. SES code (P0100) again refers to MAF. With no funds to send to garage I am going to clean both the old and newer MAF as shown in other Max.org post. My confidence level is not high but it's better than doing nothing. I'm going to clean the old one first and replace it to see if I may possibly luck out and get some positive results.
Anyone want to take a stab as to the outcome? I'll let you know in either case.
Old 04-27-2010, 04:14 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I new here and was thinking about buying an 2000 Maxima with 130k for $4,000 is that a good deal?
Old 04-27-2010, 04:25 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Stock Exhaust

my friend who has a 5th gen told me to keep my stock exhuast and that an aftermarket exhaust wont reall do anything for our cars. Is this true? I was planning on getting y-pipe and headers regardless but just want to know if this is true. i bought the car used from someone and it looks like its a strigaht through stock exhaust. I dont see a cat so maybe he took it out. and it damn sure sounds like an aftermarket exhaust. anyway does anyone have any suggestions. im a noob here so please dont flame me flame that stick icky.
Old 04-27-2010, 04:26 PM

does anyone sell 5th gen or 5.5 gen carbon fiber lips?
Old 04-27-2010, 04:27 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

i also had another questions are the y-pipe from custom maxima that bad? i see a few people saying dont get them go with cattman only. Dont feel like spending 800 for them though if its gonna givve me maybe 2 more hp then the custom maxima ones.....any suggestions
Old 04-27-2010, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by RLNY
my friend who has a 5th gen told me to keep my stock exhuast and that an aftermarket exhaust wont reall do anything for our cars. Is this true? I was planning on getting y-pipe and headers regardless but just want to know if this is true. i bought the car used from someone and it looks like its a strigaht through stock exhaust. I dont see a cat so maybe he took it out. and it damn sure sounds like an aftermarket exhaust. anyway does anyone have any suggestions. im a noob here so please dont flame me flame that stick icky.
Your friend is not a very smart fella. Y-pipe and headers would be at the top of my list. If I remember correctly, you can gain at least 10whp by doing so.
Old 04-27-2010, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by rockboy
I new here and was thinking about buying an 2000 Maxima with 130k for $4,000 is that a good deal?
http://www.nadaguides.com/Cars
Old 04-28-2010, 06:48 AM

cel codes p0140 and p0430

Hi everyone, since i got my hks exhaust and stillen y pipe my o2 sensor are displaying p0430 and p0140 code, any ideas? Thanks in advance...
Old 04-28-2010, 07:32 AM

maxima feels heavy

for some reason my 2000 maxima with 136000 miles suddenly feels alot heavier. its taking longer to accelerate. for example if i put it on drive and dont press the gas it will barely move and gettin out of the first gear takes a lot. what could be the problem? ps i have changed my motor oil in like 6000 miles(been busy) and i just changed the air intake to weapon r intake.
Old 04-28-2010, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by jroy3221
Hi everyone, since i got my hks exhaust and stillen y pipe my o2 sensor are displaying p0430 and p0140 code, any ideas? Thanks in advance...
O2 sims.
Old 04-28-2010, 03:46 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

custom maxima

anybody ever buy a ypipe/header from custom maxima? i was thinking of buying.
Old 04-28-2010, 05:12 PM

I've been reading the forums and I just picked up me second Maxima (first was '96 this one '00). I seen in one of the posts for a litle more power you should have the timing increased by 2 degrees. I live in Queens and was curious if anyone had a place I can have it done.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by embitious
for some reason my 2000 maxima with 136000 miles suddenly feels alot heavier. its taking longer to accelerate. for example if i put it on drive and dont press the gas it will barely move and gettin out of the first gear takes a lot. what could be the problem? ps i have changed my motor oil in like 6000 miles(been busy) and i just changed the air intake to weapon r intake.

ok i just got the codes read and i got a PO755 code
am doing all i can to learn bout this code so can someone plz post what they know bout its including how to fix and prices
Old 04-28-2010, 07:12 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

1)I have a 2000 maxima and I have been looken at pics of some maximaa and the corner lights are on O_o I looked at mine and they dont look like they have a bulb so how are people turning on there corner lights? Are they really lights and mine are burnt out or maybe a fuse burnt out? I would really like to know because I would like the side lights to be on =)

2) I have custom made my cold air intake system but there are these hoses that come out there are 3 of them I belive they are Vacum hoses? Im not positive but if I put a filter to the end of them would that be ok?

3) I also need new tires but I dont want racing tires because I want a smooth ride anyone here know of a good brand of luxury tires?
Old 04-29-2010, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by Max Gluteus
MAF Sensor experiment: Last Fall the SES code said my sensor was bad. I replaced it and all was well for months. Now SES came on early March for the O2 sensor (bk1,sen1) and after 6-8 weeks I replaced it. SES disappeared due to disconnection of the battery. SES comes back on a week later and car has still been running very, very rough. SES code (P0100) again refers to MAF. With no funds to send to garage I am going to clean both the old and newer MAF as shown in other Max.org post. My confidence level is not high but it's better than doing nothing. I'm going to clean the old one first and replace it to see if I may possibly luck out and get some positive results.
Anyone want to take a stab as to the outcome? I'll let you know in either case.
After about 50 miles of hywy and city the performance was poor. Overall power was noticeably lacking. Accelerating was dogged. I'll go back to the newer, now cleaned MAF and see what happens there.
Old 04-29-2010, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by Xx_Mike_xX
1)I have a 2000 maxima and I have been looken at pics of some maximaa and the corner lights are on O_o I looked at mine and they dont look like they have a bulb so how are people turning on there corner lights? Are they really lights and mine are burnt out or maybe a fuse burnt out? I would really like to know because I would like the side lights to be on =)

2) I have custom made my cold air intake system but there are these hoses that come out there are 3 of them I belive they are Vacum hoses? Im not positive but if I put a filter to the end of them would that be ok?

3) I also need new tires but I dont want racing tires because I want a smooth ride anyone here know of a good brand of luxury tires?

i can only answer 1. all four of mines where burned out chances are urs mite be too, just pull em out and see very cheap to replace like a dollar a bulb.
Old 04-29-2010, 09:18 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have a 2001 Maxima GLE Auto 105K miles on it. Couple of Quick questions....
Can I put the 02-03 Bumper on without much modification, also My Tranny is shifting very rough and with jump 2-3000 rpm before shifting... code says its Speed Sensor,will that have any lasting damage on the tranny? Also does anybody know of a good bodyshop in South Florida that can help me re-paint or toucj up the Factory Pearl paint on the cheap... Thanks
Old 04-29-2010, 10:45 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Just got my maxima!

OK so i just got my 2001 Maxima GLE had it for like 3 months now,.. i added a couple mods to her already but nothing to crazy yet i want a some tips on what parts etc to use please reply back. Also im a newbie on this site and want to make some col new friends who can show me the ropes.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:46 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by Max Head 516
OK so i just got my 2001 Maxima GLE had it for like 3 months now,.. i added a couple mods to her already but nothing to crazy yet i want a some tips on what parts etc to use please reply back. Also im a newbie on this site and want to make some col new friends who can show me the ropes.
What parts to use? Use parts that work ..
Old 04-29-2010, 01:26 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Overheated Engine coming through floor

Hi, I have a 2000 GLE and when I drive it for longer distances, the floorboards heat up on both driver and passenger sides, almost to the point where it is too hot to keep your feet down there. I know it is just the heat coming off my engine, but I am worried that there might be something else wrong because of the extreme temperature. Is there anyone with any insight on this, or that maybe has the same problem? Thanks
Old 04-29-2010, 01:27 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by Trevorelucas
Hi, I have a 2000 GLE and when I drive it for longer distances, the floorboards heat up on both driver and passenger sides, almost to the point where it is too hot to keep your feet down there. I know it is just the heat coming off my engine, but I am worried that there might be something else wrong because of the extreme temperature. Is there anyone with any insight on this, or that maybe has the same problem? Thanks
Is your heater on?
Old 04-29-2010, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Trevorelucas
More then likely there are some missing heat shields from the exhaust?
Old 04-29-2010, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by embitious
change ur oil buddy!! also.. change ur spark plugs if u still have the stock ones.. this should make a difference in the running of ur car.. i would run a sea foam bottle thru the fuel system before changing the spark plugs too.. some ppl say that sea foam makes some spark plugs gunky..
Old 04-29-2010, 06:21 PM

I NEED HELPPPP 2000 MAX HEADLIGHT SWAP WITH 2002 XENON

So i am fairly a ****ing newbie at maxforums and I just realized why I cant reply on anyhting bc I just read the whole 15 comments deal b4 you can post a thread or open a forum...gay.....bc I was ****ing pissed the whole time wondering if I was ****ed up or something but ANYWAY. . . I am needing help swapping out 02 xenons into my 00 max se. My boy has the xenons in his 00 max gle. He has the original oem maxima headlights for 02-03. He has harness and wiring kit on his car.. How difficuilt is it for me to swap myslef??PLUG AND PLAY??? Or do I need a ballast or wiring kit? can someone on max org please point me in the right direction i have been searching all over max.org and cardomain for diy and cannot find ****. Anyways thanks for comments I hope someone can please clue me in becasue I am trying to do this **** on a budget but if not i got buddies that are mechanics that can hook it up.
Old 04-30-2010, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Max Gluteus
After about 50 miles of hywy and city the performance was poor. Overall power was noticeably lacking. Accelerating was dogged. I'll go back to the newer, now cleaned MAF and see what happens there.
Ran into bigger problems with the newer, cleaned MAF. So at this point I have no idea where the root of the problem really lies. Also note; while running with the old, cleaned MAF the SES did not come back on. Today after 100 miles the performance lacked and SES returned. I came to a stop and the car was about to stall and before I could gas it myself it surged on its own and then stalled. That's when the SES came back on.

At this point I may get a better rain jacket for the expected extended use of my motorcycle.
Old 04-30-2010, 12:41 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

2001 SE Engine Control 2 Fuse blowing..

Hey maxima forums well i dont own a maxima but my mother does and well one day her car was hesitating to start and then she brought the car to a garage and they replaced the starter "witch the old one was intalled only 8 months ago" and after they installed the new starter the car wont even start.. I noticed that the engine control 2 fuse keeps blowing and i have no idea what to do from here any help is greatly appreciated...
Old 04-30-2010, 04:53 PM

lost compression

hey guys i have a 2003 maxima 6speed with the 3.5 in it and i got the ses light code p0300 "random cylinder misfire" so i got all new coils and plugs. when it was all put back together as soon as it was started i lost compression in cylinder 1. what should i do? can i rebuild? should i swap? i found a motor with 89,000 miles on it for 550. how many hours should i expect from a shop that knows what they are doing?
Old 04-30-2010, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by enoekim
I've been reading the forums and I just picked up me second Maxima (first was '96 this one '00). I seen in one of the posts for a litle more power you should have the timing increased by 2 degrees. I live in Queens and was curious if anyone had a place I can have it done.
anyone can help with this?
Old 04-30-2010, 05:22 PM

Patience and Search

I have a 2k Max and I am in these forums to get help with my issues. The veterans here apparently are some busy people and you have to be very patient and lucky that they see and feel like responding to your post. Definitely learn to search, search, search. In my many searches I did see info on your question about gaining more power with the 2* deal. I don't remember but it is out there.
Limit your search within the 5th generation and you will find it. Good luck w/ your ''new" 2k. Unfortunately mine is giving me one hell of a time and I'm at wits end.
Queens rocks, my son lives near Astoria.
Old 04-30-2010, 05:30 PM

Sunroof out of track, all threads/posts deal with leaking.

Have searched for how to get my sunroof back in the track. I did not find one that did not deal with a leaking roof or resetting the controls or motor.

My son somehow got in and one jumped and banged his head into it. I usually keep it locked just for this purpose. Dealer wants $400+ to repair. They claim they have to completely remove it and then reinstall to do it properly. I can't get a tool in to pry it back without doing conspicuous damage to interior or the track itself.
Is this a job a novice like myself would attempt?
Old 04-30-2010, 05:33 PM

Does anyone have a 2002 maxima 6 speed? If so, could someone perhaps do me a small favor... Can you check your dash board and see if you have an AT Check light?? I bought mine 3 weeks ago and I realized I have an AT Check light (never turns on even when I turn the ignition to ON) despite having a manual transmission... I was thinking maybe it went through a tranny swap, but it doesnt have the P R N D D1 D2 D3 bar down the middle between the speedometer and tachometer
Old 05-01-2010, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by OnOiShNo0dl3Z
Does anyone have a 2002 maxima 6 speed? If so, could someone perhaps do me a small favor... Can you check your dash board and see if you have an AT Check light?? I bought mine 3 weeks ago and I realized I have an AT Check light (never turns on even when I turn the ignition to ON) despite having a manual transmission... I was thinking maybe it went through a tranny swap, but it doesnt have the P R N D D1 D2 D3 bar down the middle between the speedometer and tachometer
You are the only one in the U.S. with a 6spd. Look, the same dashboards are used in all the vehicles. I have 'SLIP' on mine, even though I don't have traction control.
Old 05-01-2010, 08:09 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Custom exhaust on an '01 Anniv Ed

Building a custom exhaust from the heads back. I have a friend doing 2 1/2" custom piping from the cat back and putting on a Megan Racing muffler. I'm torn on the headers and y-pipe on whether to use Warpspeed, Cattman or OBX...can you please give me some insight on which one you'd recommend and why? And not wanting to do a test pipe...going with hi-flow cat instead...any recommendations?
Old 05-01-2010, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Maxima67
Building a custom exhaust from the heads back. I have a friend doing 2 1/2" custom piping from the cat back and putting on a Megan Racing muffler. I'm torn on the headers and y-pipe on whether to use Warpspeed, Cattman or OBX...can you please give me some insight on which one you'd recommend and why? And not wanting to do a test pipe...going with hi-flow cat instead...any recommendations?
Please try the search feature of the forum. Exhaust setups have been discussed in length. I pulled up at least 10 pages of results.
Old 05-01-2010, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by islingpaint151
hey guys i have a 2003 maxima 6speed with the 3.5 in it and i got the ses light code p0300 "random cylinder misfire" so i got all new coils and plugs. when it was all put back together as soon as it was started i lost compression in cylinder 1. what should i do? can i rebuild? should i swap? i found a motor with 89,000 miles on it for 550. how many hours should i expect from a shop that knows what they are doing?

i HAVE searched and if i missed something send me the link.
ANYBODY
Also my mechanic says he is sure it is the rings and not a valve
Old 05-01-2010, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by islingpaint151
i HAVE searched and if i missed something send me the link.
ANYBODY
Also my mechanic says he is sure it is the rings and not a valve
Has the mechanic done a wet compression check? What were the pressures?
Old 05-01-2010, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by VQP0WER
Has the mechanic done a wet compression check? What were the pressures?
I will be sure to ask him. I saw him use something like a stethascope to listen. the question really is is it worth rebuilding the engine or should i just swap it out if i can get a motor for 550 and have it installed for 700?
Old 05-01-2010, 05:25 PM

Hi:

I'm new here and would like to post a question. My 2002 Maxima GLE is getting poor mileage. Highway/local is about 15 mile/gal. What do I need to fix to get a better mileage?

Thanks
Old 05-01-2010, 10:31 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

i am thinking of buying a 2003 maxima does the headlights change colour like the new bmws? and if not what would i have to do to get that look? please help

Quick Reply: 5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread