5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Cattman 3" Catback Exhaust (New resonated version) - Order here!

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 09:42 AM
Get Off My Lawn

FYI: For those of you who may be looking at the Walker isolators, as mentioned the design has changed. However, that was not the issue I had with them. I found that the opening where they installed on the hangers were too large so failed to adequately hold the exhaust in place. The Walker holes were actually so large there were gaps between the isolator and hanger. So when the exhaust moved, it didn't matter how stiff the isolator was, it wobbles around on the two hangers just allowing the exhaust to swing.

Don't get me wrong, Walker looks like a great product, they just failed to do what I needed. I thought others should know my experience with them. Perhaps a different part number would be better......don't know about others, but I didn't feel like waisting money with trial and error.
The ones I got from autozone were perfect. They were firm and the holes where they slid onto the hangers was small, meaning they hold onto the car and exhaust extremely well!

I'll post the Walker part # to avoid tomorrow. Since some are in a hurry to install, thought I'd confirm Autozone is a great option.

I'll also add: other things that helped secure my 3" Cattman catback. I bought a new isolator from Nissan for the y-pipe. To a vapid wearing out the isolators, I doubled some of them up. I installed a new isolator with the old one at the y-pipe. I also doubled up the autozone isolators on the right rear of the exhaust. I'll see if I can find my images.

Last edited by Chris Gregg; 04-09-2013 at 09:49 AM.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:43 AM

I used Walker isolators for the three by the muffler, and used a Walker one from Auto Zone for the one by the B-Pipe. They aren't solid pieces like they may have once been, but I can assure you that they are MUCH more sturdy than the previous hangers that were supporting my 1 3/4" exhaust piping. The previous ones allowed my muffler to sag nearly two fingers distance from the bumper, whereas simply replacing with new Walker isolators moved my muffler tips up against the muffler cutout perfectly.

Also, took the time to take some pictures, and a quick sound clip. Here's the link to my photobucket library: http://s1091.photobucket.com/user/ag...tman%20Exhaust

Last edited by D Moolah; 04-09-2013 at 11:02 AM.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:50 AM
dot dot dot ...

I'm using hose clamps ..

Old 04-09-2013, 11:02 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
I'm using hose clamps ..

you too? they work great.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:33 AM
Banned

I'm using hose clamps ..

Oh you Fancy huh? I bet Old Boy Rochester would of slapped some of the Titanium hose clamps on there!so I guess you gonna let him over fancy you now?
Old 04-09-2013, 11:57 AM
Banned

god not rochester...
Old 04-09-2013, 01:17 PM
Get Off My Lawn

Not seen anyone else post up images of the new resonator section. The following is courtesy of Cattman -

Old 04-09-2013, 01:21 PM
Banned

Welds look fantastic.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:30 PM
dot dot dot ...

Still confused as to whether or not one can order the resonated section on its own, for those of us that already have the previous version of the catback.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:33 PM

You get a look at it bolted up in one of the pics from my album. Fits nice and snug under the car. I cant compare it to previous 3" Cattman exhausts, but she purrs so nice. That exhaust clip I put up was from right after the install, so it's toned down a little bit since then

NmexMax: Pretty sure he said you can, I just dont know if there is a price for just the resonator section from Cattman though. Cmax gave what his rough estimate on what his resonator section would be
Old 04-09-2013, 01:40 PM
dot dot dot ...

Yeah, gonna have to call the man and see. Not sure if it's worth it in my case. 3" test pipe, headers ...

Old 04-09-2013, 05:42 PM

^ Why wouldn't it be worth it in your case? I have a 3" test pipe and you notice a big differnece in sound with the newer resonator.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:25 PM
Get Off My Lawn

Still confused as to whether or not one can order the resonated section on its own, for those of us that already have the previous version of the catback.
Yes, you can order just this resonator section. Cost is uncertain at this time but, Brian is contacting his shop to make a final determination now that they have the experience of putting several of these together.

Great thing about these sections is that we do not have to wait for header or catback group buys. Once Brian has definate information about cost and turn around on just the resonators, we can begin a list at ANYTIME of 3-5 minimal to start production.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:58 AM

For just the resonator it was under 300 for me.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:06 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ctsmith39
Good, they normally cost around $80-100. Of course you have to have them welded in for $40.

Last edited by FastnFuriousMax; 04-10-2013 at 08:12 AM.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:41 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by FastnFuriousMax
Good, they normally cost around $80-100. Of course you have to have them welded in for $40.
From my understanding, Cattmans resonator will be flanged up, ready to bolt in.

I may do this.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:46 AM
Banned

From my understanding, Cattmans resonator will be flanged up, ready to bolt in.

I may do this.
His should be all flanged up with the gaskets and bolts needed for the install I assume. If you want a custom made resonator that bolts on his or Cmax seems to be the way to go. IMO expensive for just a resonator as you can buy a whole cat back for that price.

If you want to go with a mass produced resonator from magnaflow, vibrant, etc that you have to weld in the cost should be 1/2 or less.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Chris Gregg
Not seen anyone else post up images of the new resonator section. The following is courtesy of Cattman -

Looks Good, when I get a bigger Resonator will go Cmax route with the Magnaflow and let a shop weld it up for me, since in San Diego plenty of reputable Muffler shops around, still enjoying the Original on there..

Last edited by Rods03Max619; 04-10-2013 at 10:59 AM.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by ctsmith39
Wow, you took a bath on that deal? Hats off to Cattman for getting people to buy into his products.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:04 AM
dot dot dot ...

Anyone have a side by side comparison of the old and new version?
Old 04-10-2013, 11:36 AM
Banned

@cattman is there any reason you tapered it and is there extremely expensive european packing in the tapered section or just the enlarged barrel? Why not make the resonator longer?

Originally Posted by 5aprilc
Wow, you took a bath on that deal? Hats off to Cattman for getting people to buy into his products.
You make me laugh.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:14 PM
Get Off My Lawn

I discussed this with Brian. These are of course my words so I am not trying to speak for him. The resonator was graded at the ends to improve harmonics. A gradual transition is better for aestheitic accoustics as I understand. Ill say such a design is visually more aesthetically pleasing and I think would decrease undercarriage air turbulance, just my thoughts. Yes, the slopes are packed with material, and it uses the same material as in his smaller resonator and mufflers. The resonator is not longer due to avoiding the floor board support. I would assume it would also have to do with trying to maintain affordability by saving on assembly and material costs.

Last edited by Chris Gregg; 04-10-2013 at 12:19 PM.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:23 PM
dot dot dot ...

I discussed this with Brian. These are of course my words so I am not trying to speak for him. The resonator was graded at the ends to improve harmonics. A gradual transition is better for aestheitic accoustics as I understand. Ill say such a design is visually more aesthetically pleasing and I think would decrease undercarriage air turbulance, just my thoughts. Yes, the slopes are packed with material, and it uses the same material as in his smaller resonator and mufflers. The resonator is not longer due to avoiding the floor board support. I would assume it would also have to do with trying to maintain affordability by saving on assembly and material costs.
What's the body ID vs the old version? I know, I should probably call.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Rods03Max619
Looks Good, when I get a bigger Resonator will go Cmax route with the Magnaflow and let a shop weld it up for me, since in San Diego plenty of reputable Muffler shops around, still enjoying the Original on there..
My design is a bolt on...it has flanges.....Bolts right up to the existing Cattman flanges....Got all my parts in yesterday guys.....I'm on it.....Looks like I will need more soon! I don't believe in cutting and welding on such a beautiful exhaust system like Cattman has built for us....So this is a straight forward bolt on which includes the following:
1. The Resonator assy.
2. 1 Poly hangar for the hangar just aft of the Resonator.
3. 2 Copper Exhaust gaskets.
4. No hardware needed!

You mean OD don't you? 4".....

Last edited by NmexMAX; 04-10-2013 at 12:43 PM.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:27 PM
Banned

Is your exhaust too loud is that why you want a resonator installed?
Old 04-10-2013, 12:30 PM

Yes....
Old 04-10-2013, 12:30 PM
Get Off My Lawn

3" all the way through. Brian noted the internal openings for the resonator section can visually be seen at where the slopes begin.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:42 PM
dot dot dot ...

Yep, I meant OD.

It's not a DD, so I'm not too worried, and the 3" test pipe quieted it down nicely.

Just seems like this info should be in this thread.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by CMax03
My design is a bolt on...it has flanges.....Bolts right up to the existing Cattman flanges....Got all my parts in yesterday guys.....I'm on it.....Looks like I will need more soon! I don't believe in cutting and welding on such a beautiful exhaust system like Cattman has built for us....So this is a straight forward bolt on which includes the following:
1. The Resonator assy.
2. 1 Poly hangar for the hangar just aft of the Resonator.
3. 2 Copper Exhaust gaskets.
4. No hardware needed!
Yeah will be doing the exact same thing would buy one of Cattmans but might push my exhaust back into the Heatshield, and will have to shell out another 40 bucks to cut a 1/4" to 1/2" off to get it centered in the tunnel going from driverside to passenger...
Old 04-10-2013, 01:08 PM
dot dot dot ...

I have no heat shields under the car any longer.

Dinging got me annoyed, and read someone else did the same. Bent the heck out of it, and it never did stay right, removed them both.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:56 PM

The shields for the b-pipe around the gas tank?
Old 04-10-2013, 02:14 PM

I have no heat shields under the car any longer.

Dinging got me annoyed, and read someone else did the same. Bent the heck out of it, and it never did stay right, removed them both.
I would be worried about removing the heat shield for the pipe under the gas tank. Hopefully you used exhaust wrap or something similar, I would be worried with how hot that pipe gets.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:13 PM

The original 3" catback had a 4" OD resonator section, and the new one is 5" OD.

I also paid just under $300 - and I was gladly willing to pay it because I know the product is excellent
Old 04-10-2013, 03:24 PM
dot dot dot ...

I would be worried about removing the heat shield for the pipe under the gas tank. Hopefully you used exhaust wrap or something similar, I would be worried with how hot that pipe gets.
Been like that for years, no problems. Other members have done it. The exhaust doesn't get that hot back there. If you can, bend the sheilds and make it work, but in my case, it didn't work out. Pipe was butted up against the shield.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:34 PM
Banned

Man yall need to adopt my driveshaft/exhaust loop fix no banging,no moving,no issues!
Old 04-10-2013, 03:40 PM

I had to bend the heat shield that's around my B pipe to keep it from rattling. When I first started up the car after installing my catback, you could hear it rattling just sitting still, now I can only hear it when taking right hand turns, or starting from a stop on a hill. I'm gonna put the car back up on the lift this weekend and try to bend the shields a little more, if the rattling still exists, than maybe I'll just do what NmexMAX did, and remove them completely.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by Rods03Max619
Yeah will be doing the exact same thing would buy one of Cattmans but might push my exhaust back into the Heatshield, and will have to shell out another 40 bucks to cut a 1/4" to 1/2" off to get it centered in the tunnel going from driverside to passenger...
Why do you like a Cattman resonator is gonna push your exhaust system into the heatshield near the fuel tank? I have all my shields and braces still in place....If you have headers they might push the exhaust into the heatshield but.....It's all albout installing the entire system loosely and making small adjustments to result in no contact when shaking it side to side as well as up and down.....Again investing into Nismo or Walker (35460) and 1 kartboy Poly hangar (aft of Resonator location) will solidify your entire exhaust system to virtually no movement....I keep preaching this...
Old 04-10-2013, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by CMax03
Why do you like a Cattman resonator is gonna push your exhaust system into the heatshield near the fuel tank? I have all my shields and braces still in place....If you have headers they might push the exhaust into the heatshield but.....It's all albout installing the entire system loosely and making small adjustments to result in no contact when shaking it side to side as well as up and down.....Again investing into Nismo or Walker (35460) and 1 kartboy Poly hangar (aft of Resonator location) will solidify your entire exhaust system to virtually no movement....I keep preaching this...
Had the Headers, Fastcat and 3'' Exhaust, something was too long somewhere, The hangers had no play in the Problem. Was somewhat near the Heatshield with no Headers but once got em this is what happened...

Name:  014.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  55.1 KB

Name:  013.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  56.0 KB
Old 04-10-2013, 08:25 PM
Administrator

^ That sucks Rod. look at all that un-utilized space too...
Old 04-10-2013, 08:53 PM
Get Off My Lawn

Just a repost of mine for how I installed the new isolators on my 3" system. This thing has not budged since I went this route. Clearly, some have simply had slightly different things they have had to do to keep the system from banging and/or just shifting around.

I'm glad you posted your images, I was going to suggest you do.

Similar, here is what I've done at the muffler. This image is of a longer isolator so the muffler is allowed to move a bit more to the passenger side and ensure just enough clearance between my tips and bumper.

This is of the rear right/ passenger side of the muffler. Yes, two isolators together.

And here is the passenger side on the back end of the muffler. As Cmax has indicated, adding a half peice of an isolator to keep the main isolator pushed to the right side helps ensure the system stays to that side, eliminating right turn banging.

Quick Reply: Cattman 3" Catback Exhaust (New resonated version) - Order here!