3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

*NOOBIES* The "I am new here,but have a question" thread..(post your questions here)

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 02:36 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by PBfrEAk
So I have EVERYTHING off of my dash except the ACTUAL dash (the big top part.)

I've taken every screw I can see out. The ones on the sides, the gauges are all out and yet it still feels tight.

Are there any hidden I'm missing? Or is it just a yank and pull job from here?

Thanks guys. I owe you all a beer some day for all the stupid **** you have to answer lol
did you get the 3 under the defroster vents? and the 2 nuts on the left and right side?
Old 05-12-2009, 02:38 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally Posted by CapedCadaver
and by relays you mean fuses. there are no relays controlling the headlights.
that's wrong.
if you don't know DON'T ANSWER!!!
Old 05-12-2009, 02:40 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

for some of you guys with OVER 15 posts...please post your questions on the main 3rd gen section. this thread is for newbies with less than 15 posts that can't start their own thread.
Old 05-12-2009, 02:41 PM

HAHA I had just found the 3 under the defrost vents and RAN up to the house to post that I found them but you beat me!!

Thanks man and yeah I got those two nuts on the side.

My black interior swap is on its upswing. The entire tan interior is now out and I just have to remove the carpet and dash from the parts car and put it in.

I'll do a little write up when I'm all finished.

Its actually MUCH easier than I expected. Its just very tedious and organization is KEY!!

Anyone need tan interior trim?? haha
Old 05-12-2009, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by DanNY
for some of you guys with OVER 15 posts...please post your questions on the main 3rd gen section. this thread is for newbies with less than 15 posts that can't start their own thread.
Sorry...I just didn't wanna flood the main forum with stupid one off questions.

I didnt see a point in it. Besides...I plan on doing a write up for this...I just figured why make a whole thread for a quick question. I'll address the problems I had in my write up tho...that way people know in the future.
Old 05-12-2009, 03:56 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

that's wrong.
if you don't know DON'T ANSWER!!!
huh? i consulted the FSM page before posting.... the only relay on the page is the 'theft warning relay', not 'separate relays for left and right' like brian said. there are, however, separate fuses for each side.

page EL-29 is where i am getting my information.
Old 05-13-2009, 12:13 AM

how about when you're driving? esp when climbing hills? how bad is it then? you might have one dead injector (or something else disabling a cylinder like bad plug wire or harness connection)
Well I live in the lower land part of SC and it ain't much hills around so i really wouldn't know but the guy the was working on my car said that the injector in the front in the middle I don't know what number u would call that one but he said that one was bad he had me to crank the car and he disconnected it and it did stop vibrating so maybe that is the problem but the question after that will be where can i buy just one fuel injector?

To fix the exhaust im getting and EQYP I dont know what would be a good muff tho I dont want it to sound like rice tho what would you prefer? I saw this guy in that vid using a magnaflow it had a pretty good sound to it.
Old 05-13-2009, 12:19 AM

then you're doing it wrong. it's basic trigonometry. cosine = adjacent/hypotenuse. on a unit circle, cosine is the x-axis (horizontal). theta is the angle between the x axis and a raduis (in this case, that radius is the control arm)

cosΘ = the horizontal distance between your steering knuckle and the body of the car
sinΘ = how much you dropped the car, or any suspension travel

from the factory, the angled line is slightly past the 3-o'clock position. so as your suspension compresses, it moves toward the 3-o'clock position, where cosΘ is greatest, ie moar negative camber when you need it (cornering). if you drop, you're already at or behind the 3-o'clock position, so all you can do is pull the bottom of the wheel inward as the suspension compresses. make sense?
so if any drop at all causes sin to go past the 3" oclock posistion then wouldn't a 1.2" drop have the same negative response as a 1.7"? where is the factory line crossed on our cars at what height?
Old 05-13-2009, 12:22 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by Infam0usMax
Well I live in the lower land part of SC and it ain't much hills around so i really wouldn't know but the guy the was working on my car said that the injector in the front in the middle I don't know what number u would call that one but he said that one was bad he had me to crank the car and he disconnected it and it did stop vibrating so maybe that is the problem but the question after that will be where can i buy just one fuel injector?

To fix the exhaust im getting and EQYP I dont know what would be a good muff tho I dont want it to sound like rice tho what would you prefer? I saw this guy in that vid using a magnaflow it had a pretty good sound to it.
um... disconnecting an injector wouldn't STOP the vibration. disconnecting the bad injector would cause no change at all.. disconnecting a GOOD injector would make the vibration get worse. you can buy individual injectors from the dealer for about $110ish each. don't bother buying remanufactured injectors, because our injectors die b/c of a deteriorated/broken wire inside the injector, not clogging, and all remans are are cleaned-up used injectors.

as for exhaust... where are you getting an EQYP? making it yourself? cuz nobody makes one for us. dunno about mufflers either.. i think peral93ve has a magnaflow, so you can ask him about that.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:10 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by sleepyvg30e
so if any drop at all causes sin to go past the 3" oclock posistion then wouldn't a 1.2" drop have the same negative response as a 1.7"? where is the factory line crossed on our cars at what height?
any drop will affect the geometry. i don't know at what point in the suspension travel that the control arms are exactly parallel with the ground. but it must be a pretty narrow, if it's above the parallel line after just a 1.5" drop. even on stock height my control arms look ALMOST parallel to the ground, so it's not too far off. even on stock springs.

thing is, lowering the car's center of gravity helps handling... which lowering does that. but there is a point past which the geometry issues outweigh the benefits of lowering the center of gravity (evidently around 1.5" is the switchpoint)
Old 05-13-2009, 05:13 AM

i don't know if i am suppose to post in here but i can't anywhere else!! So here it goes its a 1990 maxima se with about 65000 on it, the car was running fine yesterday and then i parked it for a couple hours and went back to start it and it misses like crazy. It pops out of the exhaust, and lacks a lot of power.. I checked the cap and button, fuel filter, pcv, plugs, wires, but i noticed that when i have it running and pull one plug wire off at a time the motor dies down even lower except for number 6. I did a compression check and it was 160 so i am leaning towards the injector anyone with any other ideas???
Old 05-13-2009, 06:42 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

huh? i consulted the FSM page before posting.... the only relay on the page is the 'theft warning relay', not 'separate relays for left and right' like brian said. there are, however, separate fuses for each side.

page EL-29 is where i am getting my information.
given there's no left and right relay for the lights...there is a relay for the lights.

fock...ok you're right...i apologize. there's no actual relay for the headlight that i see in the foldout.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:41 AM

Part Help

I Have a 1990 maxima and im looking for a cold air intake but i can't find one does anybody know where i could get one?
Old 05-13-2009, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by RustyMaxima
I Have a 1990 maxima and im looking for a cold air intake but i can't find one does anybody know where i could get one?
to be honest with you i built my own out of some 3in pvc pipe and a cone filter with a couple of 90 degree elbows
Old 05-13-2009, 12:04 PM

ok i found a universal but i don't know if it would work right with my car http://www.jegs.com/p/Spectre/955183/10002/-1

Last edited by RustyMaxima; 05-13-2009 at 12:07 PM.
Old 05-13-2009, 12:21 PM

the bend does not look like its enough to turn between the battery and motor,some else might chime in and know but from what i am thinking it won't be enough!!
Old 05-13-2009, 12:58 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally Posted by woot
to be honest with you i built my own out of some 3in pvc pipe and a cone filter with a couple of 90 degree elbows
when PVC gets hot it emits a toxic fume and that going into your engine is not good.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:04 PM

so what would you recommend using? I lookied forever for a intake for the 90 maxima and could not find one
Old 05-13-2009, 01:37 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

so what would you recommend using? I lookied forever for a intake for the 90 maxima and could not find one
you're new so i'll cut you a break...but you really need to search..

http://forums.maxima.org/3rd-generat...ay-intake.html

http://forums.maxima.org/3rd-generat...cai-stock.html

is there a real interest in CAI or HAI intakes for the VGs? if so i'm sure i can slap a few pipes together and weld them up.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:52 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

i don't know if i am suppose to post in here but i can't anywhere else!! So here it goes its a 1990 maxima se with about 65000 on it, the car was running fine yesterday and then i parked it for a couple hours and went back to start it and it misses like crazy. It pops out of the exhaust, and lacks a lot of power.. I checked the cap and button, fuel filter, pcv, plugs, wires, but i noticed that when i have it running and pull one plug wire off at a time the motor dies down even lower except for number 6. I did a compression check and it was 160 so i am leaning towards the injector anyone with any other ideas???
Yes, you possibly have a bad injector, injector failure on the vg30e engine is getting to be a big problem nowadays. you can check for sure by sticking an ohm meter across the injector poles under the injector wire harness plug. a good injector will ohm out at 11-14 ohms, anything above/below these #'s will be a bad injector..
Old 05-13-2009, 02:28 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

given there's no left and right relay for the lights...there is a relay for the lights.

fock...ok you're right...i apologize. there's no actual relay for the headlight that i see in the foldout.
n00bs

Old 05-13-2009, 04:14 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I pulled my Tranny codes, what does it mean?

Hello,
I am having some issues with my tranny acting up lately so i pulled the codes. When i got to the results the power light was constantly blinking. I did not see a break or a longer light indicating a code......

Am i good?
Old 05-14-2009, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Ghostrider86
Hello,
I am having some issues with my tranny acting up lately so i pulled the codes. When i got to the results the power light was constantly blinking. I did not see a break or a longer light indicating a code......

Am i good?
Is your check engine light on or is the car acting funny when u drive it?
Old 05-14-2009, 01:11 PM

is there a real interest in CAI or HAI intakes for the VGs? if so i'm sure i can slap a few pipes together and weld them up.
THere is a demand for cai's in north jersey, just for my car club alone
Old 05-14-2009, 02:02 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Is your check engine light on or is the car acting funny when u drive it?
the car is running good. Currently the issues with the car are door locks don't work, Tach is erratic and i have an injector that's on the last leg. The injector works 85% of the time but skips every so often.

i have checked every plug i can find and cleaned and lubed them with dielectric grease. I have cleaned every ground i can find.

Recently i re did all vacuum hoses under the hood when i replaced an injector as well as most of the intake gaskets, IACV gasket etc. Like i said the car fires up and idles great. works good when the A/C is on. Gets decent gas mileage 20~24 around town. I hear a slight skip at idle sometimes.

The tranny on the other hand acts up quite a bit when cold but seems to even out once warmed up good. When cold it tends to "lock up" when i put it in gear dragging the engine down until it turns off. It feels like if the clutch wasn't totally dis-engaging in a manual shift car. Then when i drive i get extra slippage between gears.

Now, this is not always the case, sometimes the car decides it wants to do right and i don't have a single problem out of it.
The problem is getting worse and its bad more than good lately.

Can ANYONE here help! i hate to take it to a transmission shop!
Old 05-14-2009, 02:15 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

THere is a demand for cai's in north jersey, just for my car club alone
ok
how many in your club?
how much you're willing to spend?
and it has to be CAI that's in the fender/behind bumper?
Old 05-14-2009, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Ghostrider86
the car is running good. Currently the issues with the car are door locks don't work, Tach is erratic and i have an injector that's on the last leg. The injector works 85% of the time but skips every so often.

i have checked every plug i can find and cleaned and lubed them with dielectric grease. I have cleaned every ground i can find.

Recently i re did all vacuum hoses under the hood when i replaced an injector as well as most of the intake gaskets, IACV gasket etc. Like i said the car fires up and idles great. works good when the A/C is on. Gets decent gas mileage 20~24 around town. I hear a slight skip at idle sometimes.

The tranny on the other hand acts up quite a bit when cold but seems to even out once warmed up good. When cold it tends to "lock up" when i put it in gear dragging the engine down until it turns off. It feels like if the clutch wasn't totally dis-engaging in a manual shift car. Then when i drive i get extra slippage between gears.

Now, this is not always the case, sometimes the car decides it wants to do right and i don't have a single problem out of it.
The problem is getting worse and its bad more than good lately.

Can ANYONE here help! i hate to take it to a transmission shop!
Ok, i had a simailr problem just go to ur local parts store and get lucas trans fluid. just one bottle and put it in and before u drive it after you put the fluid in let it sit for 10 mins. the fluid brought my trans back to life and is one of the only products i swear by.
Old 05-14-2009, 02:23 PM

ok
how many in your club?
how much you're willing to spend?
and it has to be CAI that's in the fender/behind bumper?
Right now there is about 10 of us and we all have 3rd gen maximas idk how much we r looking to spend but me personally about $150, but i would need the welds to handle about 6 pounds of boost, and as long as it dosn't run the risk of get water init thats fine

Last edited by RustyMaxima; 05-14-2009 at 02:28 PM.
Old 05-14-2009, 08:05 PM
mod or sell?

Right now there is about 10 of us and we all have 3rd gen maximas idk how much we r looking to spend but me personally about $150, but i would need the welds to handle about 6 pounds of boost, and as long as it dosn't run the risk of get water init thats fine
if it's under boost it's not a CAI. the CAI comes before the turbo after the air filter. you need "regular" intake piping after the turbo to the intercooler/intake manifold.
Old 05-15-2009, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by internetautomar
if it's under boost it's not a CAI. the CAI comes before the turbo after the air filter. you need "regular" intake piping after the turbo to the intercooler/intake manifold.
its not a turbo its an eletric supercharger
Old 05-15-2009, 09:39 AM

electric?...do u mean centrifugal
Old 05-15-2009, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by sleepyvg30e
electric?...do u mean centrifugal
no eletric i had to run leads of the battery and a switch on the inside of the car
http://www.electricsupercharger.net/product.php

Last edited by RustyMaxima; 05-15-2009 at 10:14 AM.
Old 05-15-2009, 10:17 AM

Hello Gentlemens,

I'm the new owner of a fairly clean white 1991 Maxima SE. As I am installing a new clutch this weekend, I will be changing out the tranny fluid.

In the garage section people mention that GL-4 is required, but I'm not sure if that is true for all years or just the later models. If anyone can confirm this I would appreciate it.

Thanks!
Old 05-15-2009, 11:08 AM
mod or sell?

in other words a heater blower motor : you could use rubber tubing and it would hold up to that thing
Old 05-15-2009, 11:22 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

'91 fuel injector issue

Hello, my buddy has a '91 automatic Maxima, and it had been sitting for the past 2-3 years because of dead fuel injectors. We finally replaced the injectors(all used) with new o-rings and gaskets for the intake manifold. We started it up today, and it was running ok-ish for a little bit. It was also blowing out blue smoke from where the flex pipe should be, and the longer it ran, the worse it ran. It also runs best at wide open throttle. If you let it sit for a while it will run decent again for a little while, although the engine wasn't entirely cooled off yet. Any ideas as to what this could be?
Old 05-15-2009, 11:45 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

umm 6 pounds...sure.
$150...ok
10...ok

water...i can't give you that guarantee. one day you decide to use your 3rd gen as a boat and hit a pond...how can an intake prevent water going in?
Old 05-15-2009, 11:54 AM

umm 6 pounds...sure.
$150...ok
10...ok

water...i can't give you that guarantee. one day you decide to use your 3rd gen as a boat and hit a pond...how can an intake prevent water going in?
wat i meant was if i hit a puddle i dont want to suck up water
Old 05-15-2009, 12:00 PM

Ebay is a good start or if you feel like spending this much you can try this http://www.warpspeedperformance.com/maxcai, I got mine from cosmoracing.com, but they only have them for the VE(92-94) and mines is SRI( I prefer them)
Old 05-15-2009, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by internetautomar
in other words a heater blower motor : you could use rubber tubing and it would hold up to that thing
if u look at the link that i posted u would understand wat i meant
Old 05-15-2009, 01:35 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

if u look at the link that i posted u would understand wat i meant
http://tinyurl.com/qszqrj

Quick Reply: *NOOBIES* The "I am new here,but have a question" thread..(post your questions here)