5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 10:49 AM

ok got a question ive got a 2k2 maxima and just wondering if any one has tryed running there 3inch exhaust out to the first bend then strait out the side? ill take some picks tonight im goin turbo and just curious if im the only one with it out under the pass rear door
Old 03-12-2013, 05:31 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Fog lights question

Hi Iam new here and have had a 2000 maxima for a few months now and doing some work 2 it.

Is there a way to have fog light turn on via stock switch without headlights behind turned on 1st ?

How can i set the fog lights to come on without headlights being turned on first please help Thanks

Attached Thumbnails 5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread-523319_2993476840891_123028908_n.jpg  

Last edited by Goto.The.Max.Imust; 03-12-2013 at 05:35 PM.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Goto.The.Max.Imust
Hi Iam new here and have had a 2000 maxima for a few months now and doing some work 2 it.

Is there a way to have fog light turn on via stock switch without headlights behind turned on 1st ?

How can i set the fog lights to come on without headlights being turned on first please help Thanks

http://www.shiftice.com/fog_rewire.html

Might wanna try that search bar up there.

Last edited by NmexMAX; 03-13-2013 at 07:24 AM.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:32 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have a 2000 3.0 5-speed I just purchased a couple weeks ago which I love, but now am noticing a noise when I let the clutch off when I first start up the car, I park the car in first because I am fixing the parking brake right now.. Anyways I get the car out of first at start up, let off the clutch then it makes a whirring noise.. kinda weird to describe to you, but when I drive the car around it quiets down almost goes away, I am thinking a bearing of some sort, maybe the t.o bearing or something of that nature.. lemme know what you think.. OH and I also have a squishy clutch that engages as soon as I let off the clutch, which I am already assuming it might be the slave or master cylinders which I already plan to fix this weekend.. so overall a BIG clutch issue..

Ok we'll it seems the clutch is getting more pressure I am going to try and bleed it as it seems there is probably just air in it...

Last edited by NmexMAX; 03-25-2013 at 11:03 AM.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:09 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Seat Height Issues

I just bought a 2002 SE with a cloth Motorized seat. I am 6' 3" and sit way up high and I am looking for the correct way to modify the seat so I can sit down a few inches more OR the best option to put new seats in with new seat rails/sliders at a budget of $1000 or less. Any ideas? Did anyone else fix this problem in thier maxima? Optimally I would like to lower the seat height at least 2-3"
Old 03-14-2013, 10:00 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by DanPO
I just bought a 2002 SE with a cloth Motorized seat. I am 6' 3" and sit way up high and I am looking for the correct way to modify the seat so I can sit down a few inches more OR the best option to put new seats in with new seat rails/sliders at a budget of $1000 or less. Any ideas? Did anyone else fix this problem in thier maxima? Optimally I would like to lower the seat height at least 2-3"
I'm 6'-4" and drove a 03 SE for years and i never had any issues. The only way to move the seat down is to push down on the switch that moves the seat back and forth. Did you try that?
Old 03-14-2013, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by DanPO
I'm 6'5" with an 01 GLE and the only time I really have any problem is if I want to sit completely straight up, however part of the problem for me is the sunroof steals 1-2" of headroom. If not for that I'd probably be able to sit with my back completely vertical, but as it is I have my seat reclined maybe 5-10 degrees all the time, which isn't a big deal once you get used to it.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:24 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

water pump

so i replaced the water pump seals and was wondering if it was normal for me to experience milky oil for a couple of changes due to the coolent that ran down into the timing chain cover when i pulled the pump?
Old 03-17-2013, 06:19 AM

Whats up everyone ive been lurking for a while and im finally getting a max really excited, the one issue the car has of right now is the common fuel gauge issue i heard about. I know it would either be the cluster or fuel sending unit. The cel is on for the sending unit so i figured it must be that.My question is that part sold alone i would i have to purchase the whole unit.Is this the part ? http://www.courtesyparts.com/25060y-...l-p-54261.html
Old 03-17-2013, 08:26 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

i've had a 2000 max for about 5 months and my rear sub has never worked. i recently purchased a 8 inch sub to replace the factory one. unfortunately i was told that there was no way to replace the the bose sub. is this true and if not how do i go about solving this issue
Old 03-17-2013, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by mrfresh
i've had a 2000 max for about 5 months and my rear sub has never worked. i recently purchased a 8 inch sub to replace the factory one. unfortunately i was told that there was no way to replace the the bose sub. is this true and if not how do i go about solving this issue
Only a Bose subwoofer can replace a Bose subwoofer. The same goes for speakers.

Here is a link on how to repair the subwoofer:
http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...00-maxima.html

Hopefully this is what you need. If not, visit your local junkyard. Be advised - the subwoofers are different from year to year. Make sure you get one from a 2000.

Originally Posted by IceBerg
Whats up everyone ive been lurking for a while and im finally getting a max really excited, the one issue the car has of right now is the common fuel gauge issue i heard about. I know it would either be the cluster or fuel sending unit. The cel is on for the sending unit so i figured it must be that.My question is that part sold alone i would i have to purchase the whole unit.Is this the part ? http://www.courtesyparts.com/25060y-...l-p-54261.html
That is the sending unit that runs the gauge in the dash.

Courtesy Nissan price = $ 85.83
NissanPartsZone.com = $ 77.13 (http://www.nissanpartszone.com/Page_...mponentsNo=172)

I would recommend that you replace the o-ring that seals the gas tank. Don't take a chance with a 10 year old o-ring - another $ 10.96.

But before you order any parts, run the instrument panel self diagnostic and see how the gauge reacts. Follow the procedure in the FSM.
2002 manual - page 122 in the EL (electrical) section.
2003 manual - page 123 in the EL (electrical) section.

Need the FSM? Go here - http://boredmder.com/FSMs/Nissan/Maxima/

Last edited by NmexMAX; 03-25-2013 at 11:04 AM.
Old 03-18-2013, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
That is the sending unit that runs the gauge in the dash.

Courtesy Nissan price = $ 85.83
NissanPartsZone.com = $ 77.13 (http://www.nissanpartszone.com/Page_...mponentsNo=172)

I would recommend that you replace the o-ring that seals the gas tank. Don't take a chance with a 10 year old o-ring - another $ 10.96.

But before you order any parts, run the instrument panel self diagnostic and see how the gauge reacts. Follow the procedure in the FSM.
2002 manual - page 122 in the EL (electrical) section.
2003 manual - page 123 in the EL (electrical) section.

Need the FSM? Go here - http://boredmder.com/FSMs/Nissan/Maxima/
Thanks!!,The fuel guage goes straight to full when car is turned on then down once car it is off does that say anything?

Last edited by IceBerg; 03-18-2013 at 02:07 PM.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by IceBerg
Thanks!!,The fuel gauge goes straight to full when car is turned on then down once car it is off does that say anything?
I lean towards the gauge being bad. If the sending unit in the tank was bad, the gauge would always sit in one spot.

However, I cannot say that with 100% assuredness. Run that diagnostic.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:29 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

2003 max engine swap?

Hi guys Im new to maxima's I just bought a 2003 Maxima SE M/T with a blown engine and I would like to know which other vq35de can fit with minor mod beside the max vq
Old 03-24-2013, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by ***** A Pereyra
Hi guys Im new to maxima's I just bought a 2003 Maxima SE M/T with a blown engine and I would like to know which other vq35de can fit with minor mod beside the max vq
The altima vq can the quest vq can. 350z or g35 motors wont work because of the rwd and the way the intake manifold sits

Last edited by NmexMAX; 03-25-2013 at 09:27 AM.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:04 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

need brake.help! recconmendations!

Hello.i.have many miles.on.my car
Its an.2001. Infiniti i30
My.back.brakes are making a lot of noise and.i.have never ever.replaced my pads or.rotors

I am.looking to.replace my rotors and brake.pads
Mayb even.calipers i.just dont know what calipers otber than.stock will.fit.

Excuse me.for asking about my infiniti on.the maxima forums.but from what iv read they are very similar cars

What are the best pads i can get?

I have kinda pre decided on hawk heard good reviews across the board

Also i already have stainless.steel lines.i.bought for.my.i30 so will.they be compatible.if.i do change calipers?

Also what is the best option for.rotors?

If.i tried to put 6th gen.rotors on my car with stock calipers would.they fit?

As of.now all brakes pads and rotors are stock
Im doing the rear first only because its making loud.noise
Car still.stops

What.to do? Need help and.suggestions.fast
Done with.the grinding.noise
Old 03-25-2013, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by i30boiFL
My.back.brakes are making a lot of noise and.i.have never ever.replaced my pads or.rotors

Excuse me.for asking about my infiniti on.the maxima forums.but from what iv read they are very similar cars

Also i already have stainless.steel lines.i.bought for.my.i30 so will.they be compatible.if.i do change calipers?

Car still.stops

Stick with stock rotors and calipers in the rear.

Edit: and take your time typing on your phone. People will help more if thread title and explanation are clearer.

Last edited by NmexMAX; 03-25-2013 at 09:26 AM.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:12 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by rblower2012
The altima vq can the quest vq can. 350z or g35 motors wont work because of the rwd and the way the intake manifold sits
Its not the mani its the heads/block if i remember correct
Old 03-25-2013, 08:24 AM

Car still.stops

Not sure if the 6th gen bbk will fit your infinity but I recommend that for the fronts if they can, i did it and there is a noiticible improvement in my highway braking. For my rear I did a stock replacement of calipers/rotors/pads. I couldn't be happier with the braking of my 5.5 gen

Last edited by NmexMAX; 03-25-2013 at 09:26 AM.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by ***** A Pereyra
newer gen max engines as well

Last edited by NmexMAX; 03-25-2013 at 09:27 AM.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:47 AM
dot dot dot ...

Car still.stops

Take a minute to search, comes in handy.

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...rs-thread.html

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...ght=definitive

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...s-install.html

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...ents-pics.html
Old 03-25-2013, 04:01 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Got a Gremlin

Guys, I am at wits end. I have issues with my 01 Max. At least once or twice a week I get up in the morning and my battery is dead. I have a new battery, alternator, and starter. Any know electrical issues?
Old 03-25-2013, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by alltrue32
Guys, I am at wits end. I have issues with my 01 Max. At least once or twice a week I get up in the morning and my battery is dead. I have a new battery, alternator, and starter. Any know electrical issues?
A friend of mine had a similar issue with his 4th Gen (95) and it took him forever to figure it out. His dome light bulb blew a while ago and I guess his son flipped the switch for the light on. Even without a working bulb it still drained out his battery.

He had battery and alternator tested, disconnected his amps, killed his alarm system notification light... and it was the stupid dome light. This probably doesn't help, but think of anything that happened/changed before the issue started. Sometimes it's the most random thing.

Last edited by NmexMAX; 03-26-2013 at 06:28 AM.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:51 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by alltrue32
So is the battery literally dead? As in tested and it's drained? Or is it a bad connection, either on the battery, started, or grounds?

My Pathfinder has an issue, and it turned out to be the + terminal came loose every now and then, and did not tighten.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:31 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

2000 Maxima Maf part Nr

Originally Posted by rsmrsm
I had a MAF on my 2000 replaced by a brand new Nissan one yesterday. The car runs really well now. I have a appointment tomorrow for reprogramming at the dealer. My question is, does anyone know what happens if you do not reprogram?

Thanks.
Hi ,
Can u please give me your new MAF part nr. There is so many different MAFs for 5 gen Maximas.
Thank u
Old 03-27-2013, 07:39 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

hey guys i have a 2000 maxima i was going to take my head lights off to swap the old ones off but one of the bolts that was really rusty like the other ones broke.. i dont want to touch any of the others i dont want it to happen again.... any suggestions? pm me or email me at armani.arroyo3@gmail.com
Old 03-28-2013, 09:34 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

fuel problem

hi im new to this
i just got an 03 maxima and the car was running fine,all of a sudden the car cut off, i restarted it and it ran for a lil longer then cut off again,when trying to restart it seemed as tho the car was out of gas but the fuel gauge read aprx 1/2 full. i dont know what to do now...i hope i didnt buy a lemon
Old 03-28-2013, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by sterl
hi im new to this
i just got an 03 maxima and the car was running fine,all of a sudden the car cut off, i restarted it and it ran for a lil longer then cut off again,when trying to restart it seemed as tho the car was out of gas but the fuel gauge read aprx 1/2 full. i dont know what to do now...i hope i didnt buy a lemon

mileage on the car? check engine lights? when you first turn the car on (music off) and listen closely can you hear the fuel pump run?

Last edited by NmexMAX; 04-03-2013 at 11:54 AM.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:21 PM

Before panicking I would try putting a few gallons of gas in the tank, maybe the fuel gauge is whacked.

Many years ago I stopped at one of those cheapo gas stations and ended up with a boatload of water in the tank, only got 10 miles or so down the road before the engine died. I ended up having the car towed to the dealership for service. Luckily no damage, except to the wallet.

Last edited by slo-ryde; 03-29-2013 at 01:07 AM.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:26 AM

hi im new to this

You may also have an issue with one or both of the CPS (Cam Position Sensors) there was a recall on the Maxima for this issue, you can check with any dealership by giving them your Vin # and they can tell you if yours have been replaced. Symptoms of a faulty CPS is the car randomly stalling and just about any speed (pretty scary #%##^) The SES codes for this are P0340 & P0345 ... p0340 is for bank 1 % p0345 is for bank 2 ... I had this issue with P0345 but did not receive the error on the first couple of times that te engine stalled. Once I replace the CPS everything was fine once again.

Last edited by NmexMAX; 04-03-2013 at 11:54 AM.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:02 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Gemner
mileage on the car? check engine lights? when you first turn the car on (music off) and listen closely can you hear the fuel pump run?
i was out of gas... filled up and no problem since. but im afraid to let the needle go below 1/2 tank now. i also notice i cannot use the control center; maybe because there is aftermarket radio (in car when i got it).

i didnt get any chk light

Last edited by NmexMAX; 04-03-2013 at 11:53 AM.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:10 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

2000 Maxima BCM/NATS Serial Pin - P0505 and IACV

Hello All,

I am new here (and yes I searched) but am having trouble finding the answer. I would like to know where I can find the serial from either my BCM or NATS or Ignition switch, to run through Supercode to get the 4-digit PIN needed to reprogram keys in the case I need to replace my ECU. I know I need to run the serial once I find it through Nissan Supercode (which I am having trouble finding the program). I have heard the serial it is on the BCM...but am finding conflicting issues if it is on the BCM or the ignition lock module for the 2000. There is also a "master PIN" for 2001-2003 but unfortunately my car falls outside that range. Hopefully I can find the serial on whatever module it is (hoping someone knows) and some awesome Nissan fellow with the supercode program can get me my PIN just in case I need to reprogram keys if I do need a new ECU.

I am getting a Nissan Data Scan II tomorrow (mainly to reset idle and clear learning) because I am in the middle of fixing a P0505 IACV error and high idle (1000rpm) after cleaning the throttle body (kicking myself because it was running awesome before I decided to clean the TB). Having trouble resetting idle (pulling brown connector) and figured having the NDS II program would be great to do that as well as reprogram keys, perform IACV relearn idle.

I have a new IACV and TPS coming and I pulled the ECU but didn't find any burnt chips. I may have moved the IACV while cleaning it and now I think its not working correctly. I am not driving it until I replace the IACV and perhaps even fuse the 4 connections to the ECU. I am also considering doing the coolant bypass. I am very good with soldering PCB's so if that STA509 does/did pop I have a couple coming to replace it and hopefully be back on my way.

I tested ohms and they register around 26 ohms on the IACV..today I am pulling the TB (which I can do in record time after 4 times lol) and going to check for shorts in the IACV (gonna replace it anyway).

Also going to replace those PITA phillips screws holding the ECU with 8mm hex as well as the TPS phillips also with hex...makes me want to smack the engineer who thought phillips was a good idea in that cramped space.

Just trying to get all my ducks in a row to fix this P0505. Until then, she sits awaiting... Thanks in advance, I have found so much great information and helpful people here as I fix the little things needed on my 2000 max.

EDIT: I can supply the VIN if someone can find the PIN from that...
Old 04-01-2013, 04:53 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

IAC problem

I have a 2001 Maxima that needs a new IAC as per the code. My question is, can I it be cleaned?
Old 04-01-2013, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by 2001maximablues
I have a 2001 Maxima that needs a new IAC as per the code. My question is, can I it be cleaned?

The code is caused by the electrical malfunctioning of the IACV. There is a stepper motor built into the IACV and the windings have a nasty habit of shorting out. You can measure the resistance of the motor windings with an ohmmeter if you want, it will only confirm what the code is telling you. And do something quick before it shorts out your ECU/ECM.

See pages 432 and 436 of the EC section of the FSM.

http://boredmder.com/FSMs/Nissan/Maxima/2001/EC.pdf

Last edited by NmexMAX; 04-02-2013 at 06:39 AM.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:49 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I recently bought a 2000 gle with 185,000 miles. Had the car for about a week and a half and the ses came on and was the p0430 code i didn't know that the maf sensor is attached to the airbox airfilter is dirty could that be the problem and also was told to try cata-clean please help
Old 04-01-2013, 06:58 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

p0430 code

I recently bought a 2000 gle with 185,000 miles. Had the car for about a week and a half and the ses came on and was the p0430 code i didn't know that the maf sensor is attached to the airbox airfilter is dirty could that be the problem and also was told to try cata-clean please help
Old 04-01-2013, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by YO4EVA

Name:  O2sensorsedit9.jpg
Views: 479
Size:  110.2 KB

This might help u find out the o2 locations

Last edited by NmexMAX; 04-02-2013 at 06:32 AM.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:39 AM

i didnt get any chk light
two things I can think of from experience.

if your key is worn, the car will shut itself off, its a security feature
(I had a spare key made, the car would start, then INSTANTLY die)

went back to normal nissan key, and voila, it worked

second is fuel pump is failing. Mine died at 130K miles

by control center, do you mean the control on the wheel? If so thats normal as you have an aftermarket, and an adapter need to be purchased before it works
(cruise control should work tho)

Last edited by Aviation005; 04-03-2013 at 11:42 AM.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by YO4EVA

I bought my 2000 se cali spec car with the p0430 code on went to ebay ordered a pre cat made by eastern catalytic converters I believe. Had to modify the heat shields attached to it but havent had it come back yet, and that was about 2.5 years ago.

Last edited by NmexMAX; 04-03-2013 at 01:53 PM.
Old 04-03-2013, 02:22 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Key fob not working and car starts when door lock pressed

Hi I have a 2000 Maxima GLE , of coarse it used so i bought a key fob fot it on ebay (oval shaped one) and did the programing the hazards flash after insterting the key but when the buttons are pressed on the key fob nothing happens. Also i noticed that if you press the lock button twice on the drivers door the car starts itself runs. I DESPERATLY need some help guys.

Quick Reply: 5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread