3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

*NOOBIES* The "I am new here,but have a question" thread..(post your questions here)

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 08:15 AM

Hi! I am about to get a 1992 Maxima GXE from a family member its not run in several years and i am needing to do some work to it. i have some Questions and have tried to look for the answers on past posts and doing a search also but i will ask these that i dont find at a later time.
My concern now is that reading the posts about the VTC's and all that has me worried for a car thats sat for a few years i dont even know what engine i have
Vin decoding programs just say its a 3.0L V6 so my Question is what engine do i have?
Do i have the VE30De? or VG30De?? or?
what i do know is the car has the red umm cam covers on it?
Here is the Vin if that helps : JN1HJ01F5NT000989
I have never owned a Nissan and i am looking forward to it
i am sorry in advance for what is probably such a "noob" Question
Old 03-12-2010, 08:37 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by MIC5631
Hi! I am about to get a 1992 Maxima GXE from a family member its not run in several years and i am needing to do some work to it. i have some Questions and have tried to look for the answers on past posts and doing a search also but i will ask these that i dont find at a later time.
My concern now is that reading the posts about the VTC's and all that has me worried for a car thats sat for a few years i dont even know what engine i have
Vin decoding programs just say its a 3.0L V6 so my Question is what engine do i have?
Do i have the VE30De? or VG30De?? or?
what i do know is the car has the red umm cam covers on it?
Here is the Vin if that helps : JN1HJ01F5NT000989
I have never owned a Nissan and i am looking forward to it
i am sorry in advance for what is probably such a "noob" Question
VG30E. the VG-DE was in the 90-96 300zx and the Infiniti J30.
All GXE 3rd gens had the VG no matter what year, and the 89-91 SE also had it. Only the 92-94 SE got the special VE motor.
Old 03-12-2010, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by CapedCadaver
VG30E. the VG-DE was in the 90-96 300zx and the Infiniti J30.
All GXE 3rd gens had the VG no matter what year, and the 89-91 SE also had it. Only the 92-94 SE got the special VE motor.
Thanks that helps! I am really excited about this car and looking forward to it, So on this Engine thats in my '92 GXE i dont have to worry about VTC's?? just wanting to make sure..
Old 03-12-2010, 06:25 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Thanks that helps! I am really excited about this car and looking forward to it, So on this Engine thats in my '92 GXE i dont have to worry about VTC's?? just wanting to make sure..
well it's good news/bad news.

good news is, no VTC's to worry about.

bad news is, you do have a timing belt to worry about. if you go ahead and replace it (and the water pump and belt tensioner) now (with oem parts, not autozone stuff) then you're good for 60k miles. If not, you're sitting on a ticking time bomb unless you have service records stating it was done recently.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:46 PM

I was looking up on ebay and saw the body kits i want for my car. My question is why are the price different because they look the same, same materials (Poly-Fiber Reinforced Plastic (PFRP) and just different names....one is made from AIT($480) and other is EX BXE($415)included S+H , does anyone know what the difference between the names or of their products?

Last edited by Nismo215; 03-12-2010 at 07:53 PM.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by Nismo215
I was looking up on ebay and saw the body kit i want for my car. my question is why are the price different because they look the same, same materials and just different names....one is made from AIT and other is EX BXE, does anyone know what the difference between the names or of the products?
youre in the 3rd gen section (wrong section), but usually you just pay more simply for brand name
Old 03-12-2010, 07:59 PM

OMG sorry hahaha i don't know ANYTHING about them having different gens chat thing in here....that's why im a noobie :P but thanks for the answer though
Old 03-12-2010, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by Nismo215
OMG sorry hahaha i don't know ANYTHING about them having different gens chat thing in here....that's why im a noobie :P but thanks for the answer though
no prob, its all separated because every gen Maxima is really different. but if it looks the same and has the same material, its just like paying for a blue Nike shirt and a identical blue Wal-Mart brand shirt, same thing, just paying more to have a few letters stamped on

but women still pay for the brand name
Old 03-12-2010, 08:03 PM

agreed +1 but to me its just the name so it wouldn't matter lol they all get painted back to the color that i have so not like the name will be shown on it
Old 03-12-2010, 08:06 PM

usually material makes a difference, because polyurethane can take quite a few rock hits and scrapes, but fiberglass after a couple rocks and bumper scrapes its done for.
Old 03-12-2010, 08:21 PM

yeah...=/ but i havent been able to find any on the net, they barely have them now adays, its usually the duraflex that i see and the duraflex i heard paints chip off them as time goes or rocks
Old 03-12-2010, 08:57 PM

i'm gonna have to go custom because i dont want something as minor as the Stillen, but the only other ones (Ebay) make your Max look like a Transformer
Old 03-12-2010, 09:20 PM

lol yea i know what you mean, everyone has their own opinions on how they want their max to look and also of where they live
Old 03-12-2010, 10:04 PM

well it's good news/bad news.

good news is, no VTC's to worry about.

bad news is, you do have a timing belt to worry about. if you go ahead and replace it (and the water pump and belt tensioner) now (with oem parts, not autozone stuff) then you're good for 60k miles. If not, you're sitting on a ticking time bomb unless you have service records stating it was done recently.

ok thanks i appreciate the info, i will check the my local nissan dealer 1st of the week i have bought some autoparts from RockAuto before they seem to be pretty good on things, Has any one else bought these parts from Rock Auto? i wonder if a NAPA or CarQuest would be a notch up from the autozones of the world!
Old 03-13-2010, 01:36 PM

ok thanks i appreciate the info, i will check the my local nissan dealer 1st of the week i have bought some autoparts from RockAuto before they seem to be pretty good on things, Has any one else bought these parts from Rock Auto? i wonder if a NAPA or CarQuest would be a notch up from the autozones of the world!
I actually just bought a TPS from them. Got here quick. They've got some deals on some Maxima parts right now(I think). They've been reliable for me.

Speaking of which, I just installed that TPS and chunked the other "new" one and it seems that my earlier described problems have disappeared. Hopefully it will be a lasting solution. Let's see if my gas mileage improves. Thanks everyone!

P.S. This is my 15th post! Took 2.5 years to do it. Now, if I can just find something productive to add to conversations around here.

Last edited by ImAlive1459; 03-13-2010 at 01:38 PM. Reason: Just noticed that this is my 15th post!
Old 03-13-2010, 07:10 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

'94 Maxima GXE Brake Conversion/ABS

My father-in-law gave my son a 1994 Maxima GXE for his first car. So....let the work begin. I brought the car back to life today with a new battery and fresh gas. As I was looking over the car, I noticed it didn't have ABS and had the dreaded rear drum brakes (noisy). Has anyone out there had any success coverting the rear drums to discs and adding ABS?
I know some models of the 94's had ABS; GLE & SE.

I found a rear disc coversion kit at dragtimes.com. Still looking for the ABS!
Old 03-13-2010, 08:21 PM

people here have done the disc swap, but i dont know about the ABS swap, might be more trouble than its worth

i think ABS was just a option that wasnt deadset on any year, my 92 GXE has it but most junkyard cars here dont.
Old 03-15-2010, 06:08 PM

Tranny swap 1990 to 1992?

Is it possable to use a 1990 ,maxima auto tramnmission in a 1992 maxima car.
Old 03-15-2010, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by dadswieser
Is it possable to use a 1990 ,maxima auto tramnmission in a 1992 maxima car.
need more info. GXE or SE? if its a GXE tranny to a 92 SE, it wont work, the VE used a different tranny.
Old 03-15-2010, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by chrome91
need more info. GXE or SE? if its a GXE tranny to a 92 SE, it wont work, the VE used a different tranny.
Im not sure yet, I have two auto tranny's one from a 90se and the other from a 91se (I think) that I pulled from a junk yard. I know they were both a SOHC. Now I want to possably use one of them in a 1992 DOHC maxx, not sure the trim on the 92 as I just started looking to buy it off of CL. So your saying its hard to tell w/o knowing the model of both. but it could be possable?
Old 03-15-2010, 06:37 PM

DOHC= VE engine, SOHC= VG. VG tranny cant work on a VE car. theyre different trannies, you would have to get a DOHC (VE) tranny for the 92
Old 03-15-2010, 06:48 PM

DOHC= VE engine, SOHC= VG. VG tranny cant work on a VE car. theyre different trannies, you would have to get a DOHC (VE) tranny for the 92
Thanks, that answers my question. Not the answer I wanted but better you told me now then to continue down my path of doom, damn
Old 03-16-2010, 07:39 PM

Help with 1990 maxima alarm

Hello, i own a 1990 nissan maxima i purchased yesterday. The previous owner was unable to provide me with the code for the keypad on the door. I being curious wanted to figure it out and started playing around with it. well i hit the "lock" button on the keypad and locked the door, my key that was provided to me does not unlock the door (i dont know if it is because i locked it with the keypad or if the two keys that were provided to me just dont work on any of the 3 locks). So i took on my "happy auto-owner" attitude and unlocked the door using a coat hanger. this set off the alarm and it continued to go off even after i turn the key over in the ignition. so right now i am at a stand point in my newly found nissan maxima project. i went online and no one that i found has had the same problem. i unhooked the positive terminal and started going to work on diagnosing it following online instructions. i took the glovebox out and located the modual for the keyless alarm system. wrote down the numbers and went online again with them. it says to reset the personal code i type in the bottem fixxed number located on the box and than input my own personal code. well i attempted this and nothing came of it and the alarm still continued to go off. then i tried disconecting the two "anti theft" fuses, one under dash and one under the hood. alarm continued to go off. Also tried disconnecting the two wire harnesses feeding the keyless entry alarm module. so thats where i am at and i am stuck. BTW i called nissan themselves and they told me to take the glovebox out and check out the module as well. please please please help me i do not want my new car to be barn ridden forever i want to get it on the road but if i cant get this figured out i am not going to even bother. PLEASE reply with some help even if you dont know just point me in the right direction. Thank you.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:49 PM

sorry im not good at picking stuff out of big paragraphs lol. so you basically have no good key, cant reset the doorcode, and have to open the door with a coat hanger?

your key should still work for the lock, doesnt matter if you used the keypad or not to lock the door. did you try the driver and passenger side locks?

i dont know how to reset the code myself, previous owner of mine had a catchy code that i kept and my door lock timer went so until i replace it, my keypad doesnt work alltogether lol. if you dont have the user manual, i could look it up in mine how to reset it
Old 03-16-2010, 08:00 PM

lol im sorry im just freaking out about it because i dont know what to do. i do know how to reset it but it will not reset because the alarm is activated. (its going off horn and lights) i was told that the key turn to the left than to the right will shut it off but my key isnt turning even a little bit. i tried drivers side/passenger/trunk. key didnt work in any but i was just thinking that the antitheft kicked in and wont allow the locks to be unlocked.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:08 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by IDFKmaxima
lol im sorry im just freaking out about it because i dont know what to do. i do know how to reset it but it will not reset because the alarm is activated. (its going off horn and lights) i was told that the key turn to the left than to the right will shut it off but my key isnt turning even a little bit. i tried drivers side/passenger/trunk. key didnt work in any but i was just thinking that the antitheft kicked in and wont allow the locks to be unlocked.
call the previous owner, make sure they have given you all of the correct keys.
if they are sure, perhaps the key was almost never used in the door, and is worn to the point that it will not turn in the tumbler.

first step is to get into the car. under the steering wheel is a cover (the on your knees will hit if you move teh seat all the way forward). remove it.
underneath, you will find a couple of boxes. been a while since I looked, but one should say anti-theft, or something; unplug it.
you should be able to start it, but, like I said, it's been a while since this was approached.
if it works, check your glove box (I think that is where it should be) for a door key code. A locksmith should be able to create a new key from that code.
if there is no code, you will still want to find a locksmith to get a key made for the doors.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:12 PM

does the 1990 maxima have to seperate keys? one for ignition and one for door? because both mine are the same thing. i will try that to get it started right now. thank you for at least that. lol, i cant believe how fast i am getting replies on here.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:32 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

does the 1990 maxima have to seperate keys? one for ignition and one for door? because both mine are the same thing. i will try that to get it started right now. thank you for at least that. lol, i cant believe how fast i am getting replies on here.
originally there were two keys; one for the doors/ignition (valet) and one for everything. usually, one key gets lost. they usually look the same, not much difference between them.

yeah, Maxima.org is pretty busy. and am busy trying to go to sleep, I am usually heading to bed right now. stupid daylight savings....
Old 03-16-2010, 09:15 PM

lmao, daylight savings doesnt bug me, its weird the first day getting up in the dark all the sudden but otherwise im fine. ive never worked the next day of daylight savings, but apparently lots of people come in a hour later from forgetting to set their clock ahead. people come early too when we set it back

and yeah you might just need a new key if the ones you have are worn out
Old 03-17-2010, 04:37 AM

Where can i find the key code to make a new key to my car? i couldnt find anything in the glove box. for the doors not the ignition.
Old 03-17-2010, 05:29 PM

Where can i find the key code to make a new key to my car? i couldnt find anything in the glove box. for the doors not the ignition.
http://forums.maxima.org/7384636-post16.html
Old 03-18-2010, 07:24 PM

wire bug, windows, moonroof, trunk pop.

So the other day I let my lil nephew swap out the CD player in my daughters 1990 SE max. Due to the fact that someone cut the factory wires and hard wired it he gave up on it. The next day when my daughter started it up and went to move it and the drivers side door window went down, the moon roof opened, the drivers side seat belt stayed down and the trunk lid popped open. It was like the car was possesed. I looked at it and it seemed to start freaking out after the car was started and when the drivers side door was closed. I removed the CD played, and because someone prior to me and my nephew cut out the factory wires to hard wire the CD player, I went to the JY and got the wire harnes for the car side and re-wired it, then bought the wire harned for the CD side and wired it to the CD and hooked it all up..... guess what... same problem. I can hear a click noise behind the foot kick plate on the passenger side and I can hear the trunk pop about every 2 seconds. All of this happens only after the car is stated and as soon as I close the drivers side door. this has to be the weirdest thing I have ran across since I've been rolling maximas durring the past 5 years.

any ideas????

Still nothing??? come on you guys are the smartest guys I know when it comes to the MAXX, please help

Last edited by dadswieser; 03-19-2010 at 12:10 PM. Reason: cant find the problem...
Old 03-18-2010, 09:21 PM

moar n00bage

i was checking out Razo, and they have auto shifters for sale. ive always wanted the trigger-style one, some they sell come with overdrive and some dont. as long as i got a overdrive one, how hard would it be to swap shifters? is it a 20 minute deal or do i have to dig around and swap a ton of stuff?

something like this

http://www.carmate-usa.com/html_razo...t_at_super.htm
Old 03-19-2010, 09:04 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

moar n00bage

i was checking out Razo, and they have auto shifters for sale. ive always wanted the trigger-style one, some they sell come with overdrive and some dont. as long as i got a overdrive one, how hard would it be to swap shifters? is it a 20 minute deal or do i have to dig around and swap a ton of stuff?

something like this

http://www.carmate-usa.com/html_razo...t_at_super.htm
just get a shifter where OD is to the right and up....... and reverse is to the right and down. and get the tranny to go with it

i dunno, that shifer you linked too is kinda... well... oogly well the chrome one at least. but if it says it fits your car then it should be simple.
Old 03-19-2010, 04:42 PM

k who can help?

i bought a varad l.e.d alarm scanner but i dont want to hook it up to the alarm cuz i dont wonna F it up. i want it to turn on while the car is off and i want it to turn off while the car is on. how do i connect this in a way i wont kill my battery? i was thinkin a rocker switch but its gonna be using juice from the battery while the cars off to power the scanner.
Old 03-19-2010, 05:21 PM

The rpms and power drops on my car below 25 MPH and happens at approximately 15MPH during acceleration worse when stopped completely..Sometimes it happens some times it doesn't.This is an automatic.I am leaning towards TPS or Fuel regulator maybe even computer.I've done all the standard maintenance, plugs filters etc.
The car starts fine doesn't stall or anything.

Last edited by augnon; 04-26-2010 at 02:39 AM.
Old 03-20-2010, 04:55 PM

Hey guys. The Maxi wont go into first or second. There was also a burning smell, I guess you could say, in the cabin, and engine bay. Was driving fun up until about 30min ago. Couldn't find anything in search. Lemme know what you think!
Old 03-20-2010, 05:54 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by 7mJoe
Hey guys. The Maxi wont go into first or second. There was also a burning smell, I guess you could say, in the cabin, and engine bay. Was driving fun up until about 30min ago. Couldn't find anything in search. Lemme know what you think!
well considering you provided NO details whatsoever about your car....

auto or manual? and what engine? if it's a VG auto, odds are it's a dead tranny because well, that's just what VG auto trannies like to do.
Old 03-20-2010, 11:09 PM

well considering you provided NO details whatsoever about your car....

auto or manual? and what engine? if it's a VG auto, odds are it's a dead tranny because well, that's just what VG auto trannies like to do.
My bad. It's a manual VG.
Old 03-21-2010, 05:41 AM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by 7mJoe
My bad. It's a manual VG.
sounds like a couple of burnt syncros.
transmission rebuild time!!
(my time is coming soon, I can feel it )

Quick Reply: *NOOBIES* The "I am new here,but have a question" thread..(post your questions here)