5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 05:19 PM

any major 'gotcha's to watch out for on a 2001 automatic?

a friend of mine has her heart set on a 2001 and I know I've heard about lots of issues with a 2000 model year (ecu's frying out, etc.) but honestly haven't heard about 2001 issues so what should I tell her husband to be on the lookout for?
Old 01-16-2011, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by ceboyd

a friend of mine has her heart set on a 2001 and I know I've heard about lots of issues with a 2000 model year (ecu's frying out, etc.) but honestly haven't heard about 2001 issues so what should I tell her husband to be on the lookout for?
I never had any major issues when I had mine. The only thing I had was the 1-2 shift hesitation which really wasn't a problem. It was a very reliable car.
Old 01-16-2011, 10:48 AM

keyless remote

is there any way you can program what the car does when you lock it with the remote, my horn honks when i do it now i just want the parking lights to flash, and is there any way you can buy like a wiring harness for your tail lights because one of mine cuts out from time to time
any help is appreciated thanks
Old 01-16-2011, 10:51 AM
Suspension Yoda

Sounds like you have a compound issue.

-You CAN disable your horn honk when you lock the car.
-Your tail lights cutting out is a definite issue, you may have a short somewhere along that circuit.
Old 01-16-2011, 11:42 AM

if i disable the horn will the parking lights flash instead? and how do you do that? and with my tail light whenever it goes out i just squeeze the wiring harness and it comes back on, thats why i was thinking i might need another wiring harness
Old 01-16-2011, 12:01 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by SEMaxima2000
if i disable the horn will the parking lights flash instead? and how do you do that? and with my tail light whenever it goes out i just squeeze the wiring harness and it comes back on, thats why i was thinking i might need another wiring harness
On my remote you press both lock and unlock at the same time for 2 seconds to switch between beep and silent. The lights flash both silent or beep.
Old 01-16-2011, 02:46 PM
L36

Hello.
I was listening to some music in my car, i have a subwoofer, but i was not pushing a high volume so i assumed i would not murder the battery. This was all done while the car was off.
Weirdly subwoofer began to slowly fade out and stop working, i assumed might be a wiring problem and i had to go back to work so locked the car went to work.

I comeback, start the car, it start fine. Start driving, about 3 miles, the battery and brake light come on.
Luckily i got home and its obvious the battery was not charging as my lights were very dim, and when i shut the car off and attempted to start it again, it would not.

So, possible causes:
Alternator, low voltage.
Battery failing.
Fuse blown somewhere.
Poor wiring.

Now, are 4gen maxima and 5th gen maxima alternators interchangeable?
Could i possibly blown a fuse, think it might be the least problem, i mean how can i do it while listening to music....
Any pointers appreciated.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:56 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by jowo9
Usually a slipping tranny is caused by one of the 4 shift/line pressure solenoids in the solenoid pack malfunctioning. If you let this go on too long, it'll damage your clutch packs.
So now i need to change my whole transmittion or de Solenoid packs ..Plz reply early ..Cz m in a very bad situation !
Old 01-17-2011, 01:27 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hi I'm looking to buy a 5.5 6 speed with leather and they're so hard to find at a decent price. I might just settle with the cloth/non bose and wanted opinions on how the cloth is and the non bose speakers, or should I consider just waiting for the right one..thanks!
Old 01-17-2011, 01:31 PM

A lot of people are happy without the bose. Leather/heated seats are a must for me, now that I have them for the first time. BUT....I might trade that in for cloth and a basic stereo for the 25+ hp increase an 02 would give, not to mention a 6th gear.
Old 01-17-2011, 01:34 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Yeah I've got a 95 gle so I'm used to the bose and heated leather so I don't want to feel like I "downgrade" for a lack of better words
Old 01-17-2011, 01:55 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

how do i understand if my gears are slipping ..plz sum one xplain it to me !!
n can i change my automatic transmittion and repalce it with a manual one ??
has any one done thos ..hw much did it cost ..plz its reaaly urgent !!!
Old 01-17-2011, 03:10 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Usually a slipping tranny is caused by one of the 4 shift/line pressure solenoids in the solenoid pack malfunctioning. If you let this go on too long, it'll damage your clutch packs.
so wht shud i do now ??
Old 01-17-2011, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by CatalystVhai
so wht shud i do now ??
Transmission cover and valve body have to be removed to get to the solenoids. If you don't know what you are doing, better off letting a mechanic look at it.
Old 01-17-2011, 03:22 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by VQP0WER
Transmission cover and valve body have to be removed to get to the solenoids. If you don't know what you are doing, better off letting a mechanic look at it.
i will surely ask a mechanics do it .. but i wana b sure of de fact ..as mechanics here lie a lot ..n dey r gona ask a lot penny fr small repairs even ..n m a college student ..u surly cn understnd my situation ..
so finally onli de solenoids must be changed ??
n dat can stop de gears from slipping ??
hw much can be de approx cost ??

thnkx a lot in advance fr givng me clues of wat went wrng .. i deeply respect ut reply ..n lukng frwrd fr yar next reply !
Old 01-17-2011, 03:22 PM

So now i need to change my whole transmittion or de Solenoid packs ..Plz reply early ..Cz m in a very bad situation !
so wht shud i do now ??
Get the solenoids replaced first... if that doesn't work, get a $500 junkyard tranny and have it swapped in.
Old 01-17-2011, 03:27 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Get the solenoids replaced first... if that doesn't work, get a $500 junkyard tranny and have it swapped in.
Ok .. i will have it checked by a mechanics soon ..n post de update ..thnkxx .
Old 01-17-2011, 04:28 PM

Hello everyone. I am new here and i own a 2000 maxima automatic. My problem is that when i drive my heat works perfect but when the car is idle it starts blowing out cold air. I did some research on this forum and i think i might know what the problem is. If im not mistaken i have to check the coolant level first. Then i have to see if the reservoir cap is good and not letting air in. If that dont work then do a coolant flush. My question is how exactly do i do a coolant flush? Is it the same as a reverse flush? How do i do both of those things? Please help. Thanks again.
Old 01-17-2011, 05:16 PM
Suspension Yoda

I don't know what a reverse flush is, but a coolant flush is easy - just do a search online for Maxima coolant flush and some detailed procedures will appear.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:31 PM

Hey guys,

Been browsing .org for a while now. Loved reading much of it, and learned quite a bit. Joined today at last.

So, I have a question. I was looking around for coilovers, and came across Tein CS which people say are geared toward comfort, but it's not available for 03 Max apparently. Can you suggest something else that is available which would be comparable? I wanna look into getting something that gives me the complete road comfort as well as better suspension overall. I will be looking to do a drop sooner rather than later, so that has to factor in as well.

Thanks for all your help.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:39 PM
Suspension Yoda

What is your budget, and where are you located?
Old 01-17-2011, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by ChiTeMax
Hey guys,

Been browsing .org for a while now. Loved reading much of it, and learned quite a bit. Joined today at last.

So, I have a question. I was looking around for coilovers, and came across Tein CS which people say are geared toward comfort, but it's not available for 03 Max apparently. Can you suggest something else that is available which would be comparable? I wanna look into getting something that gives me the complete road comfort as well as better suspension overall. I will be looking to do a drop sooner rather than later, so that has to factor in as well.

Thanks for all your help.
Get Tein SS. Everything else that's cheaper has a mono-tube design, which has it's advantages, but isn't best for street use. Tein SSs utilize a twin-tube design, which will last longer and be better overall for everyday use. That's what I'm getting when I have the money. If you have $2000+ to spend, I've heard JIC FLA-2's are the best (don't get A1's), but Tein SS's are the next best thing IMO and they are about 1/2 the price.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by djfrestyl
What is your budget, and where are you located?
Probably about a grand with little room to flex out. Depends what I get for it, and if it's worth it...
Get Tein SS. Everything else that's cheaper has a mono-tube design, which has it's advantages, but isn't best for street use. Tein SSs utilize a twin-tube design, which will last longer and be better overall for everyday use. That's what I'm getting when I have the money. If you have $2000+ to spend, I've heard JIC FLA-2's are the best (don't get A1's), but Tein SS's are the next best thing IMO and they are about 1/2 the price.
Thanks for the reply. Yeah I was really leaning towards the SS or BC's till i read about CS. Might just need to go with SS or BCs.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:53 PM

Some people on here say JIC wouldn't be comfort oriented, they're more track-ready than street... :/
Old 01-17-2011, 07:55 PM
Suspension Yoda

Look into the Megans. They're about 800 + shipping. Great handling - both performance and comfort.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:00 PM

Ok i looked for the coolant flush found no articles. If someone can be nice enough to give me a good guide on how to do a full coolant flush i would appreciate it alot. Also does a coolant flush just mean a radiator flush or is there more in a coolant flush? Also am i going about fixing the problem the right way?
Old 01-18-2011, 09:39 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Can someone please direct me to a DIY or list the steps required to replace the drivers side-view mirror for a 5th gen? Thanks.

I'm sure I can figure it out on my own, but I am curious about any clips that need special care as to not break them in the process.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by ceboyd

No issues with mine.

The only gotcha is with automatics, when the electronic front and rear motor mounts fail, they'll take the ECU with them. It's pretty obvious when they have failed (and before the ECU fails), but some people seem to manage some serious stuff on their cars in the hope that "it'll fix itself" ...

Some people just disconnect the motor mounts - that's worth doing if your friend isn't very car-aware.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by diplomat1
Ok i looked for the coolant flush found no articles. If someone can be nice enough to give me a good guide on how to do a full coolant flush i would appreciate it alot. Also does a coolant flush just mean a radiator flush or is there more in a coolant flush? Also am i going about fixing the problem the right way?
This because a "flush" is more a term used by mechanics' shops to try and get more of your money. Draining and re-filling is more than enough. A "reverse flush" tries to pump water or coolant in the direction opposite of the direction it normally goes - this is a bad idea, because you're breaking loose any rust or scale in the system and not removing it.

If your heat output goes down when the car isn't moving:

1. Make sure your engine is not overheating
2. Make sure your coolant is topped up

Changing the coolant will not make the system work any better than just topping it up. Changing the coolant should be done regularly - but it's not related to this problem.

To top up your coolant:

1. Wait until the engine is cold.
2. Open the radiator cap.
3. Fill with either distilled water (available by the gallon at a drug store) or a 50/50 mix of coolant and distilled water until full if it's not.
4. Close cap.
5. Top up coolant reservoir with coolant.

Run the car for a while with the heat on MAXIMUM. Drive it around.

Repeat.

Note: Some people will start the car with the radiator cap off, and let it get hot, rev it, and see if the coolant falls. This is usually done during a coolant change, but unless you have added a lot of coolant it's overkill.

Key points to remember: Coolant can get hotter than the boiling point of water. It burns. Keep the heater in the car on MAXIMUM to make sure the AC/Heating system's coolant gets pushed around and any air in there gets out.

Good luck!
Old 01-18-2011, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by ChiTeMax
Probably about a grand with little room to flex out. Depends what I get for it, and if it's worth it...

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I was really leaning towards the SS or BC's till i read about CS. Might just need to go with SS or BCs.
Look into the Megans. They're about 800 + shipping. Great handling - both performance and comfort.
Yeah, I was debating between Tein SS and BCs... After extensive research I came to the conclusion that Tein SS > BC, Megan, D2, Ksport, etc... because all of the others have a 'mono-tube' shock design. Tein has a 'twin-tube' design, which is better for street use. Read this amazing article about the differences in design. It is what convinced me in the end.

http://www.ek9.org/forum/suspension/...info-tein.html
Old 01-18-2011, 03:55 PM

okay so i have a quick question....

I am looking to buy a new grille
found one on the forums---------->

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...gen-stuff.html

I have a 2000 max and this is for a 02/03 max. The seller is saying it won't fit and i honestly believe him..but I am hoping someone can tell me otherwise...or maybe there is a way to modify this to make it fit.....? can someone help me out here please bc im in diare need of a new grille but i dont want to buy something that wont work. For fastest and most appreciated reply pm me back.. thanks.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:12 PM

Which hoses and belts are recommended to be replaced around 100,000. (Maxi is overdue). I am going to nissan to get the parts because I don't want to cheap out with them, I just want to know which ones I need. I read a lot of threads but they all just said "belts and hoses" and were not really specific.

As far as Trans. flush I heard for the mechanic not to just do the flush and top off, but to do a "Full Flush." What exactly is the difference.
Need to do the coolant and brake fluid also.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by djshwini
Which hoses and belts are recommended to be replaced around 100,000. (Maxi is overdue). I am going to nissan to get the parts because I don't want to cheap out with them, I just want to know which ones I need. I read a lot of threads but they all just said "belts and hoses" and were not really specific.

As far as Trans. flush I heard for the mechanic not to just do the flush and top off, but to do a "Full Flush." What exactly is the difference.
Need to do the coolant and brake fluid also.
There is a compressor and a power steering belt (according the manual).

According the that factory service manual, a flush is just when they drain the approx. 4-5qrts of fluid in the tranny pan and refill. A full flush is when you disconnect your tranny cooler hose going into the tranny cooler near the radiator and completely flush the system out, including the torque converter.

There is a how-to in the stickies and it's not that hard to do.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by VQP0WER
There is a compressor and a power steering belt (according the manual).

According the that factory service manual, a flush is just when they drain the approx. 4-5qrts of fluid in the tranny pan and refill. A full flush is when you disconnect your tranny cooler hose going into the tranny cooler near the radiator and completely flush the system out, including the torque converter.

There is a how-to in the stickies and it's not that hard to do.
Ok cool. Arent there certain coolant lines/hoses that need to be replaced at a higher mileage? Which would be the right ones for normal maintenance.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:30 AM
Suspension Yoda

Originally Posted by djshwini
Ok cool. Arent there certain coolant lines/hoses that need to be replaced at a higher mileage? Which would be the right ones for normal maintenance.
I think you're confusing two different things. You were asking about transmission flush, which is what was answered, and now you're asking about coolant lines - which is related the radiator/cooling system. The intersect is that the transmission just happens to use a separate compartment in the radiator for transmission fluid cooling.

With a transmission flush there aren't really any lines that need to be replaced.

With a radiator flush you COULD replace the upper and lower radiator hoses for preventative measure - or you can replace them when the radiator itself goes.
Old 01-20-2011, 03:22 PM

Yeah, sorry I didnt clarify in my post. I have to do some preventative maintenance so I wanted replace the coolant hoses via the radiator and I wanted to replace the belts.
I was also wondering about the transmission fluid (Dont remember when I last changed it, was a while back)

I think you're confusing two different things. You were asking about transmission flush, which is what was answered, and now you're asking about coolant lines - which is related the radiator/cooling system. The intersect is that the transmission just happens to use a separate compartment in the radiator for transmission fluid cooling.

With a transmission flush there aren't really any lines that need to be replaced.

With a radiator flush you COULD replace the upper and lower radiator hoses for preventative measure - or you can replace them when the radiator itself goes.
Old 01-20-2011, 04:14 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Need help!!!

hello everyone, im new to this forum and i need someone to help me find the catalytic converter. i have a 2003 maxima SE 3.5L. recently my mechanic told me that i need a new catalytic converter with gaskets on both ends. The price for the parts he gave me was $510 plus labor. This seems very expensive. i feel im being ripped off by this guy. Please help me find the right parts with the right price. i tried searching on ebay, but it seems there are options ranging from $90 to $440 dollars, im not sure which one to buy,..any direct links will be appreciated...Thanks
Old 01-20-2011, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by moedanish
hello everyone, im new to this forum and i need someone to help me find the catalytic converter. i have a 2003 maxima SE 3.5L. recently my mechanic told me that i need a new catalytic converter with gaskets on both ends. The price for the parts he gave me was $510 plus labor. This seems very expensive. i feel im being ripped off by this guy. Please help me find the right parts with the right price. i tried searching on ebay, but it seems there are options ranging from $90 to $440 dollars, im not sure which one to buy,..any direct links will be appreciated...Thanks
Welcome.

What symptoms was your car having and there surely was a check engine light for which you have a trouble code for?
Old 01-20-2011, 04:52 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

i hit a bump on the road after which i started hearing loud noises. i thought i broke the exhaust pipe but my mechanic told me the joint between the catalytic converter and the front assembly is broken for which i have to change the catalytic converter. No check engine yet!!!
Old 01-20-2011, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by moedanish
i hit a bump on the road after which i started hearing loud noises. i thought i broke the exhaust pipe but my mechanic told me the joint between the catalytic converter and the front assembly is broken for which i have to change the catalytic converter. No check engine yet!!!
OEM cats are expensive, no doubt about that. There are cheaper aftermarket cats that are of the same quality.

Take a look at rockauto.com They typically have great prices. A quick look looks like $175-$220. These are pretty easy to install as well.

Quick Reply: 5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread